Auto waterchange and mixing station plumbing dilemma

seanbugeja

I'm setting up my new reef tank. Ill be installing an autoaqua waterchange system. Obviously I'll be also setting up a salt mixing station.

I'll be changing 60 litres a week from my 600 litre aquarium and I'm in the process of setting up plumbing between mixing station and aquarium.

My lfs told me I should only store rodi water and mix the salt in a few hours before the waterchange. My mixing station was to consist of 2 one hundred litre tanks with stored rodi water.

Now for my question, when I mix the 100 litre of salt water what do I do with the other 40 litre. I can't store that. Or so I need another 60litre tank for water to be changed in it? Is there a more efficient salt mixing system? Thanks

My lfs told me I should only store rodi water and mix the salt in a few hours before the waterchange. My mixing station was to consist of 2 one hundred litre tanks with stored rodi water.

I believe you have been given poor advice. Depending on your Salt mix, I not only like to mix longer than that (I'm using Reef Crystals, which honestly take longer) but also make a 1 month supply at a time with no adverse effects. In fact, watching BRStv, Ryan even states in a recent video that water can be stored longer, provided you prevent evaporation.

I'm doing 6L/day on a system of 750L total, and have a 55gallon plastic drum (210L). I was shooting for 1%/day, and just didn't increase when I added the 100L 'fuge.

Yeah daily water changes was my target but he said He said water will cycle again hence causing the replacement water to be toxic and higher in nitrates. Have no idea what I should do

I wouldn't listen to that person. I have 55 gallons of saltwater in my basement currently and it will be used daily for about a month before it gets refilled with rodi and started over (AWC 1.5 gallons a day)

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Depending on how long you plan to keep it you might need to add a little alk. My mixing pump runs for an hour before my AWC pumps starts just to give the water a good mix. Not sure it's needed just something I've always done.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I use a 24 gallon (90L) storage for my AWC. That is one weeks supply and and I have had no problem. I run the mixing pump about 6 - 10 hours when I first make the salt water.

Back