automatic water change

What kind of tubing is everyone using from the pump to the tank. I thought I would use 1/4 ro tubing but the Masterflex doser I purchased tubing has larger nipples, possibly for 3/8 tubing.

I'm using 1/4-inch vinyl tubing, connected to my Masterflex LS24 tubing, via straight-connector couplers that I ordered from Masterflex online. If you go to Masterflex's website, it will list the barb size for Masterflex tubing that you have on hand. Your pump head will list the LS tubing sizes that you can use with your pump. Once you know the tubing model no., you will know the barb size--e.g., whether 1/4 or 3/8--from Masterflex's website. Then you will know what size vinyl tubing to get, to attach to the tubing couplers. Good luck.

I'm using 1/4-inch vinyl tubing, connected to my Masterflex LS24 tubing, via straight-connector couplers that I ordered from Masterflex online. If you go to Masterflex's website, it will list the barb size for Masterflex tubing that you have on hand. Your pump head will list the LS tubing sizes that you can use with your pump. Once you know the tubing model no., you will know the barb size--e.g., whether 1/4 or 3/8--from Masterflex's website. Then you will know what size vinyl tubing to get, to attach to the tubing couplers. Good luck.

Thanks for the information.

I am currently using a Stenner for automatic water changes. I set it up on a timer, runs every 1 1/2 hrs and changes a 1/2 gallon at a time. I have a total of 8 gallons a day on my 240 gallon display with a 110 gallon sump. REALLY nice! Sure makes things easier. Now, if they would only invent something that automatically cleans the glass!

Wow. You are changing 240 gallons of water per month? Why so much? If your sump runs at half full, you are changing 245/295 gallons per month, or 83% a month.

Wow. You are changing 240 gallons of water per month? Why so much? If your sump runs at half full, you are changing 245/295 gallons per month, or 83% a month.

I forgot to mention I don't do it every day. I run it two days a week. Sorry for the confusion :(

Atwc

Atwc

Been running my sterner pump now for a few years, just a few things now that i have changed , now I buy the cheapest salt with the lowest values, for now it's the instant ocean brand , with my ato now being on kalk reactor for primary demand , I need a low starting point on my ALK, then I adjust evaperation to meet demand and for secondary phoshate reduction, in the ato from the rodi and also in display. This year I'm staying with the cheapest brand of salt , back off the amount of water change to what I feel is the minimum percentage of change, and use Triton to test both my atwc and display then make my changes to my atwc .

Great thread , will join the band wagon soon with a master flex 7523-40 .
Looking out for two easy load heads. If any one has spare ones please PM .
Also will check out US PLASTICS for tubes

Thought I would document this and encourage questions/comments/suggestions.

I'm working on setting up an automated water change at 1% per day (for me about 2 gallons)

Ref: I'm referencing "Water Changes in Reef Aquaria" by Randy Holmes-Farley see link here http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-10/rhf/

Since my display tank is not on an exterior wall I've laid 3 lines of 1/4" tubing from my garage to my display tank thru the attic (each run is about 35 feet)

Two of these lines go up to the top of my canopy (one carries ATO and the other carries the fresh saltwater).​
The 3rd line goes to my sump and will be the suction line for old DT water.​

The continuous water change will be implemented using a double-head Stenner pump (100DM4 model). It has an adjustable output of up to 35gal/day/head. I'll be running this thru my apex and figured I would stagger it 6 times a day for 14 min/run.

Here is the equipment that I use in order to do an Automatic water changes.
Also, during these water changes you never have to turn any skimmer off or any pumps off while doing a water change with the DOS.

Equipment List:

Neptune DOS
Neptune 30FT Tubing or more.
1 EB8 Power Strip
PM2 Module for your salinity w/ Probe
InkBird Temp gauge controller
50ft AquaBus Cable that will connects to your Apex panel which us under my tank.
2 or 3 port TUBE Holder
Stepper Bit from Home depot
Acrylic Rod 12'' qty 2
TIMER - To kick on the pump to mix the salt 5 times a day for 30 minutes.

Above my mixing station, I have mounted a pcs of plywood right above. It has the 6 stage RODI, Booster Pump, EB8 power Strip, PM2 module, Salinity Probe, InkBird Temp Controller, PX40 PANWORLD WATER PUMP mixing my salt on the Mixing Station. Also, I have the options to put on the Banjo fittings if I want to do fast and large water changes or if I need some Fresh RO water I can pump it out at any time.

Here is the equipment that I use in order to do an Automatic water changes.

Also, during these water changes you never have to turn any skimmer off or any pumps off while doing a water change with the DOS.

Equipment List:

Neptune DOS

Neptune 30FT Tubing or more.

1 EB8 Power Strip

PM2 Module for your salinity w/ Probe

InkBird Temp gauge controller

50ft AquaBus Cable that will connects to your Apex panel which us under my tank.

2 or 3 port TUBE Holder

Stepper Bit from Home depot

Acrylic Rod 12'' qty 2

TIMER - To kick on the pump to mix the salt 5 times a day for 30 minutes.

Above my mixing station, I have mounted a pcs of plywood right above. It has the 6 stage RODI, Booster Pump, EB8 power Strip, PM2 module, Salinity Probe, InkBird Temp Controller, PX40 PANWORLD WATER PUMP mixing my salt on the Mixing Station. Also, I have the options to put on the Banjo fittings if I want to do fast and large water changes or if I need some Fresh RO water I can pump it out at any time.

Can we get some more pictures of this setup? Or we can talk in PMs if you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For those of you doing daily automatic water changes how has it been going?
How is your tank?

Does daily automatic water changes of about 1% per day negate the need to do larger water changes?

For those of you doing daily automatic water changes how has it been going?
How is your tank?

Does daily automatic water changes of about 1% per day negate the need to do larger water changes?

I auto change 2 gallons daily on a 180 gallon tank. Received Triton water analyst last week.... all results within range (green). No need for additional, larger, water changes.

Last edited:
Back