baby peppermint shrimp project

H.crispa

As if I don't have enough projects going on... I and another member are starting to raise peppermint shrimp. The following photo is of the babies at about two weeks. Sorry for the photo quality. I circled a few of them to make them easier to see. For size, the glass tube they are in is about as big around as a pencil.
baby-shrimp.jpg

That is AWESOME!!! I really want shrimp in the tank, once its all together, I think they are cool little creatures.

Hey those are great man! BTW Im right on your heels, I have baby cherry shrimp already :) and they are eating!!! Now I just wait and see how fast the colony grows.

I am starting with baby brine. I'm not sure where to go from there. And yes, I'll be selling them in an effort to keep up with the maintenance costs of my reef. Coral propagation alone simply isn't cutting it anymore-- too many people out there doing it now. I guess that is a good indicator of the success of our efforts here at the CVRC!

No one is going to get rich doing it (in da shrimpin' bidniss), but hopefully I can buy a bucket of salt every couple months. Who knows-- they might even be tasty!

I had peppermint shrimp (Lysmata wurdemanni, I think) reproduce in a 38 gal quarantine/holding tank. One night I saw dozens of little sets of eyes staring back at me as I shone a flashlight in the dark tank. There were some damsels and a couple of clowns in the tank as well. The babies were are gone the next morning.
It may be more difficult to raise them than it appears - but I hope I'm wrong.

I threw the parents in a 40 gallon refugium but have not seen any shrimps in that 'fuge for two years. Lotsa other stuff, but no peppermints.
I've seen a lot of eggs under the tails of peppermint shrimp - it should be easy (?) to get young (what's a baby shrimp called? A shrimplet?). Lysmata are hermaphoditic, so getting pairs is a cinch.
I think it would be a good idea if the resident Zen reefer & company wrote about the husbandry of these critters on a seperate thread. Breeding animals is what keeps freshwater enthusiasts going year after year. Saltwater hobbyists seem to last two years at most. I thinks that's mainly because saltwater hobbyists feel like they can't participate in the hobby unless they spend their life savings on the hobby.
Breeding shrimps won't cost a fortune, and it will be fun.

It isn't as easy as it appears. This is my third or fourth go-round. I've tried blood shrimp, scarlet cleaners, and peppermints. I always get them to the last stages before transformation and then they all die. This time I am determined to solve the puzzle. Others have done it already but I'm hoping to branch out into more difficult ornamental shrimps as I get better at it. We'll see what happens. In any case, I encourage people to try breeding things. It is fun and interesting and in some cases you can even make a modest profit-- like I said, no one's getting rich doing this.

My thing is for people to master the basics of culturing rotifers and greenwater and brine shrimp and other sources of food, to master the basics of raising baby fish, then move on as quickly as you can to breed something no one else has yet. Thing is, most of the "easy" ones are already taken... and none of them are easy! Clowns, neon gobies, purple dotty backs, and even some damsels, and others have been done. I tried to raise mandarin dragonettes at one point. I got them to spawn but I didn't know it at the time. They do this mating dance and release their gametes directly into the water column. I saw them doing this on several ocasions but never could find any eggs anywhere. When, to my chagrin, I discovered the ugly truth, I gave up on them... at least for now.

Honestly, I highly recommend raising freshwater angelfish to get your feet wet-- pardon the pun. Once you've done that, move on to clownfish or something like that. For me the next step after jack dempseys, oscars, jeweled ciclids, angelfish, and a few others, was to raise neon gobies. I'd actually like to do that again. I love those little guys. I don't think I ever actually sold any of the offspring. I decided to create a hybrid between the blue and gold neons but soon after got sick of all the hassle and quit.

Something else I have been toying with is trying my hand at giant clams. But nut yet-- one thing at a time.

I heard that you can actually feed baby peppermint shrimp (which are called zoeae) dry foods, such as cyclopeeze, flakes, or whatever after just 5 weeks. I think that is fantastic. I am looking to try it as soon as I get some in. Definately sell them! How much do you think aquacultured pepps would go for?

Good luck!
Brock Fluharty

Back