Prawns

reefmusic

Yes, I use the word prawn on purpose, to distinguish the free swimming little fella we like to eat (when he grows up) from the bottom dwelling, hide under a rock, cousin we call a shrimp. Yes, I know some parts of the world also call the free swimming prawn, by the name shrimp, as well, but they are fairly different.

Anyway, a local waterway is teeming with millions of these young prawns. The water is cloudy with them, all only a couple of centimetres long. I brought home half a dozen to photograph and put them in my tank. They may become food, or the might survive, as there are only two clownfish in there at present.

Here's a photo. As you see he is hanging/swimming near the surface. Others are swimming mid water.

IMG_7004.jpg

We call them grass shrimp here in New York and are so plentiful that I can probably fill a 50 gallon drum with them in an hour. :D
They will live in a tank for years but when the fish chase them, they jump out and stick to the lights. Thats how I lose them. But in a tank with no fish,they are great.

Back