Backyard Pond

I would like to have a roughly 8' x 12' pond built in my backyard. Does anyone have builder recommendations or experience having something like this installed?

I was originally going to go for koi and I still may but I'll probably be just as happy with goldfish. A while back one of the regulars here had an extensive build thread about an epic pond they built in their own yard. Hoping that dude chimes in with a rec.

I've been thinking about this as well. I actually dug out an area to prep for this but never finished. Does anyone know what the cost is for materials?

I've been thinking about this as well. I actually dug out an area to prep for this but never finished. Does anyone know what the cost is for materials?
To do it right, you are looking at 3k after hole is dug. This is for a 4 thousand gallon with waterfall feature. Don't forget the rocks :)

I would like to have a roughly 8' x 12' pond built in my backyard. Does anyone have builder recommendations or experience having something like this installed?

I was originally going to go for koi and I still may but I'll probably be just as happy with goldfish. A while back one of the regulars here had an extensive build thread about an epic pond they built in their own yard. Hoping that dude chimes in with a rec.
Biggest tip is not to skimp on the bottom drain. It's not optional unless you want to have sludge to deal with on the bottom of the pond.

Yeah seems like bottom drain is a must so I'm planning on that. I guess I'm just not sure if I should try to bang this out myself or hire someone. So far from the couple contractors I've talked to, for what I'm looking for its low side $8k high side 15.

You can get kits that get you pretty much everything you need starting around $1k. I'm looking at pondguys.

Thanks guys for the response. $1K-$3K sounds doable to me and I don't mind doing it myself honestly as I love house projects. The other thing I have to think about is wild animals in my area (coyotes, bears, deers, etc) which I love but also might be looking for easy snacks...

I would be careful with the 1k options. There are minimal requirements for keeping the large kois (Japan imports), like water volume, turn over rate. The liner is not something to skimp on either.. If you go with one that's made by a good company like firestone, you get more years out of it.. last thing you want to do is replace that.

It's crazy how he mentions since flow is so low rain water won't mix with the saltwater and just overflow.
It's been a while since I watched that so I don't remember. I'll have to check it out again. Listening to Julian is like therapy - he's so Zen.

Back