Ban on yellow tangs from Hawaii

Here's the Hawai'i Department of Aquatic Resources 2010 report to the Legisltaure if anyone's interested. (I'm looking forward to the next DAR report next year, I've heard in 2010, 2011 and 2012 both the number of Yellow tangs collected and the over all population increased.)

http://files.hawaii.gov/dlnr/reports-to-the-legislature/2010/dar/DAR10-Hawaii-Fisheries-2010.pdf

Page 8 list's the Researchers and institutions conducting the surveys and the refference outlining the survey criteria. To quote from the report "To briefly summarize: Densities of all fish and selected invertebrate species are visually estimated along four 25X4m strip transects at each of 23 permanent sites in the three types of management areas. All survey divers either have extensive experience in conducting underwater fish surveys in Hawai'i or received training through the UH‟s Quantitative Underwater Ecological Survey Techniques (QUEST) training course prior to collecting data (Hallacher and Tissot, 1999). In addition to the transect surveys, a 10 minute "free - swim‟ survey is also conducted by two divers in the areas surrounding the actual transects. The purpose of this survey is to better census uncommon or rare species and species of particular ecological interest such as taape, roi, terminal phase parrot fish, cleaner wrasses and crown-of-thorns starfish. All sites are surveyed at least four times a year. As of December 2009, a total of 55 survey rounds of all study sites have been completed (>5,000 transects). Six rounds were conducted prior to FRA closure in 1999."

What I find concerning is in the apparent inverse relationship in the populations of certain fish with regards to Yellow Tangs in the FRAs (Fish Replenishment Areas). Quoting from page 11 "Yellow Tang density increased markedly (and significantly) in the FRAs while seven of 10 decreased (Achilles Tang, Multiband Butterflyfish and Brown Surgeonfish decreased significantly)." Since 2002 the Achilles Tang population has been consistently higher in the open areas to collection than in the FRAs. If further research bears out this relationship we might have a situation where we have to remove a specific percentage of the Yellow Tang population each year to preserve these other species*. At the very least this certainly shows just how complex this issue is.

*(This is reminds me somewhat of the problem we have in Texas with Whitetail Deer. We've eliminated their ecological controls, Mountain Lions, wolves and Screwworm Flies {the fly lays eggs on the umbilicus and the maggots eat the fawns alive} and now large ranches are given qoutas of how many dear have to be killed to prevent animals from starving to death.)

Last edited:
^ Great post. This is my most important concern of limited ecosystem managment and the results of tampering with food webs. Thanks for sharing!

The fishing laws and regulations around the Hawaiian islands is based on population densities that are not always true. Survey teams are not doing the best job at recording and classifying species that are at risk of decline. Studies also neglect to yeild caution in removing species in the ecological food web. The Polynesian reef chains are a very small ecosystem when compared to the rest of the Indo-pacific.

We also lose far to many individuals during culls of ornemantal fish species. Yellow tangs are at special risk of this.

What I am not saying is that collectors are horrible people who care nothing for the oceans. They do. I support the families of fishermen and the men themselves, but I am concerned about the politics behind managing such a fragile system.

This also being said, I do not care for how crazy activists can be during protests. What happened in that video should have never happened. Period.

Have you ever run a transect yourself? Or done any field work?

If we want to talk overfishing lets talk commercial food fish like Tuna. High demand is really causing an issue there. Ornamental fish like Yellow Tangs have a relatively low demand and are harvested at a quite sustainable rate as studies show. Before we start questioning the validity of such studies and pointing out flaws please remember that those who perform the studies are many times environmental enthusiast who care about the ocean and reefs too. That being said they dont intentionally garnish their data to support higher fishing and they take a lot of precautions to get accurate reliable data. We are limited by our abilities to estimate fish populations so yes studies may not show the whole story, but they do a darn good job of giving us the big picture. You cant fault the studies for limitations in our abilities to collect data. As time progresses new and better methods may arise, but we cant rely on future methods for today's results.

Have you ever run a transect yourself? Or done any field work?

Yes and Yes. I hope I did not offend your ideas or work if my comments sound like they are an attack. That is certainly not my intention.

Doing field work (not in the hawaiian island chain but in the caribean) has shown me the difficulties in using section population densities in fish census studies. Now I will say that the article above was performed well, but I have contacts that work in the pacific ring that have noted the declines in hawiian ornamental species. This is all hear say for me, but does have scientific backing.

Again, I do enjoy the fish trade and hobby, but there needs to be better managment. This was my comment. In the article, you can see that yellow tang populations are up, but other species are in decline. This also does not show the percent death of collected species either. The article is also 4 years old.

Overfishing also pertains to culling more individuals than are needed. Just because tang populations are up, doesn't mean that we are not taking more than we needed.

Again, I do enjoy the fish trade and hobby, but there needs to be better managment.

I don't think anyone will really argue the need for good management. However, we can only go with the best data we have, anything else is purely guess work.

In the article, you can see that yellow tang populations are up, but other species are in decline.

That actually begs for more research into the reasons for that difference. Naturally overall management needs to be more of an ecosystem approach instead of purely a targeted species approach. After all, no species lives in isolation.

This also does not show the percent death of collected species either. The article is also 4 years old.

While that certainly should be an ethical concern for us as aquarists, it is totally irrelevant from a sustainable fisheries standpoint. When it comes to managing a fishery, all caught fish are as good as dead. Doesn't matter to the sustainability of a fish stock if they are caught and killed or caught and kept in a tank.

Yes and Yes. I hope I did not offend your ideas or work if my comments sound like they are an attack. That is certainly not my intention.

Doing field work (not in the hawaiian island chain but in the caribean) has shown me the difficulties in using section population densities in fish census studies. Now I will say that the article above was performed well, but I have contacts that work in the pacific ring that have noted the declines in hawiian ornamental species. This is all hear say for me, but does have scientific backing.

Again, I do enjoy the fish trade and hobby, but there needs to be better managment. This was my comment. In the article, you can see that yellow tang populations are up, but other species are in decline. This also does not show the percent death of collected species either. The article is also 4 years old.

Oh man, I've got pretty thick skin... no offense at all, just trying to figure you out :D I've been active in the MO sustainability subject for as long as I can recall so seeing new players interests me a lot :)

I happen to work in the industry (we sell to Shedd), the last 9 years I've been working for a company that is mainly an aquaculture feed producer, but we do MO feeds as well.

Lol I think for now they should stick to protecting some endangered species of insects in California or maybe the desert tortoise from Bundys ranch.

Oh man, I've got pretty thick skin... no offense at all, just trying to figure you out :D I've been active in the MO sustainability subject for as long as I can recall so seeing new players interests me a lot :)

I happen to work in the industry (we sell to Shedd), the last 9 years I've been working for a company that is mainly an aquaculture feed producer, but we do MO feeds as well.

Very cool! I'm glad that you (and many others on this forum) have good hands on insight. It's so easy to point fingers, but there is always to sides to the coin as everyone is mentioning.

The percent death is totally an ethical argument, one in which I hold to be important, but anyone with the comment that removing the fish alive or dead doesn't really matter in sustainability is totally correct.

Omg not the yellow tang!!!!! LOL

Theres more endamgered species cmon man yellow tang is least concern

What about the giant man eating squid now THATS an issue! :eek:

When it comes to endangered species, any endangerment is bad.... no degree of endangerment of a species is a good thing.

Back