BAR Breeding and Propagation Workshop - October 13 - Chabot College - Free to Attend

latte hiatus

BAPPOSTERWEB.jpg

This October 13th BAR would like to invite all to attend the 2012 Bay Area Reefers Breeding and Propagation Workshop featuring Rich Ross and Tal Sweet. This free event will feature a discussion on marine breeding by Tal Sweet, a live demonstration of fragging techniques by Rich Ross, Captive bred and propagated livestock for sale by our local fish store BAR sponsors, and a raffle with fantastic prizes including an EcoTech Radion XR30w, MP40w ES, MP10w ES, propagation supplies, a frag tank, various foodstuffs, corals, equipment, and some other items we're currently closing so stay tuned. All attendees will receive a complementary gift bag w/goodies at registration, and lunch will be available.

Speaking engagements
Marine breeding is the leading edge of our hobby, with more and more individuals succeeding in breeding and raising previously impossible animals. In the morning session, Tal Sweet's Captive Breeding FAQ talk is fun and directed at people that are thinking about getting into breeding and have questions before they jump in.

For the afternoon session, we've selected a variety of corals to propagate during a live propagation demonstration, each possessing a particular challenge. BAR's own Rich Ross will take us through the offerings, applying the correct tools to each challenge, and addressing technique and safety along the way. It is our pleasure to again welcome Rich back to the stage!

Register here: http://barbap.eventzilla.net/
Please take a moment to register if you plan on attending. All registered attendees will receive a free raffle ticket for a special raffle held at BAP.

Downloadable map of Chabot College with building numbers
Please remember to pay $2 for on-site parking

Schedule
Registration 10:30
Breeding Marine Fish with Tal Sweet 11:15-12:15
Lunch 12:15-1
Coral propagation with Rich Ross 1-2
Raffle 2-3

Sponsors
BAR appreciates the support for this event from the following companies:
AlgaGen LLC, Boston Aqua Farms, and EcoTech Marine.

BAR would like to specifically thank for their continued support our outstanding local fish stores:
Aquatic Central, Aquatic Collections, Diablo Corals, and Neptune Aquatics.

These fine establishments will be on-site purveying fine propagated and captive-bred livestock during the event. Don't miss the exceptional quality our local sponsors will offer, and please do your part to keep them going strong.

We will be selling event T-shirts, raffle tickets, BAR t-shirts, and have a membership registration table at this event. We welcome all, and look forward to seeing you on October 13th.

Speaker Bio's
Tal helped spearhead the Marine Breeding Initiative (www.mbisite.org), hosted several Marine Breeder's Workshops, and has focused on promoting captive breeding through his own website (www.fishtalpropagations.com) and speaking engagements nationwide. It is our pleasure to welcome Tal to our club.

Richard Ross currently works as an Aquatic Biologist at the Steinhart Aquarium in the California Academy of Sciences, maintaining many exhibits including the 212,000 gallon Philippine Coral Reef. He has kept saltwater animals for over 25 years, and has worked in aquarium maintenance, retail, wholesale and has consulted for a coral farm/fish collecting station in the South Pacific. Richard enjoys all aspects of the aquarium hobby and is a regular author for trade publications, a frequent speaker at aquarium conferences and was a founder of one of the largest and most progressive reef clubs in Northern California, Bay Area Reefers. He is an avid underwater videographer and has been fortunate to scuba dive in a lot of places around the world. At home he maintains a 300 gallon reef system and a 250 gallon cephalopod/fish breeding system, and was one of the first people to close the life cycle of Sepia bandensis. When not doing all that stuff, he enjoys spending time with his patient wife, his incredible daughter and their menagerie of animals, both wet and dry. Rich maintains an excellent history of informative articles on his website (www.packedhead.net)

This meeting is going to be very educational and fun to attend. I am hoping to be able to attend. Maybe we should do a car pool and then visit the local LFS afterward.

I'm going and would be willing to carpool. I have room for three. Everybody (but Grant) is welcome. We Prius drivers remember when we are dis'd! :)

I will be getting there a little early. I'm on tap to tape it.

BTW, I am just kidding about Grant. He can come too. If he can stand to ride in a PRIUS!

Be sure to register! You'll get a free raffle ticket!

John I think between the two of us we would max out that little cars load limit and make it go even slower.;);)

I'm going and would be willing to carpool. I have room for three. Everybody (but Grant) is welcome. We Prius drivers remember when we are dis'd! :)

I will be getting there a little early. I'm on tap to tape it.

BTW, I am just kidding about Grant. He can come too. If he can stand to ride in a PRIUS!

Be sure to register! You'll get a free raffle ticket!

Shot gun :D

This will be an exciting event and it is right around the corner! If you have not yet pre-registered please do so by Friday for a free ticket to participate in a special raffle.
Register here: http://barbap.eventzilla.net/

Since you guys are coming all the way out to Hayward and may not be familiar with Chabot College's layout, here is a map to help you navigate on Saturday:
Room722Directions.png

We are looking forward to seeing everyone this Saturday!

Last edited:
That was A Bar members only swap I am talking about the regional

As an honorary BAR member you were eligible to attend the members' only swap! ;) I am disappointed that we will miss you at the workshop this Saturday.

BAR is tentatively holding a regional frag swap in the spring of next year. Unfortunately the schedule for the rest of this year is already filled. The regional swap is one of those events that everyone looks forward to, and we are grateful to have reefers congregate from all over! Please be assured that our WCR friends will be given ample notice once the date is set for the regional swap. :)

As an honorary BAR member you were eligible to attend the members' only swap! ;) I am disappointed that we will miss you at the workshop this Saturday.

BAR is tentatively holding a regional frag swap in the spring of next year. Unfortunately the schedule for the rest of this year is already filled. The regional swap is one of those events that everyone looks forward to, and we are grateful to have reefers congregate from all over! Please be assured that our WCR friends will be given ample notice once the date is set for the regional swap. :)

I've been wainting to attend a BAR meeting for a while now but the timing hasn't worked out. Hopefully soon.

I can't wait for the BAR regional swap, it is by far the best swap in the north bay.

In a PM, Grant asked me how the BAR meet was and I replied...

It was great. There were two speakers. Tal Sweet, a fish breeder with about 10 pairs of Clown fish, Dottybacks and, IIRC, Blennies. He talked about the processes involved in marine breeding.

Second speaker, Rich Ross, of the Steinhart, talked about and did many coral propagation techniques. He is a great speaking personality. Lots of fun to experience his presentation.

The raffle was fantastic. The big items were a Radion, an MP10 and an MP40. Unfortunately, I didn't win anything! :(

Makes me want to breed fish in future. And maybe a seahorse tank too!

Tal Sweet's fish-breeding room is awesome.... Now to convince wife... Hehehe. J/k. Future.

@ eternalreef & zeroinverse - sorry I missed you! Next time please ask any BAR member to flag me down so I can say hello.

We are very grateful for all the WCR folks who were able to make it to the workshop and helped to make it a success. It is heartening that there are so many like-minded hobbyists who are interested in captive breeding and propagation. :) We have plans to hold the same workshop again next year, with a few big things in the works. Stay tuned! :D

Back