Basement fishroom- insulate cinderblock wall?

neilp2006

Hi guys

I have an area in my basement (12x6 feet) that I am sectioning off for a fishroom. 2 walls are exterior- a 12 feet section that is cinderblock, below grade, and a 6 foot section that is a half wall (3.5 feet) cinderblock, then up to the joists it is wood siding, insulation and osb sheathing inside.

Zero moisture penetration into the basement- they really did good work with the exterior waterproofing. I painted the cinderblock with 2 cans of drylock (that previous owner left- he started the job but got bored after 1/4 can). It actually looks good now. Originally figured I'd leave that wall white and use it as is. HOWEVER- it is cold. Obviously, since there is no insulation at all.

My question- should I insulate that wall by gluing eg r10 foam board then frame it out with 2x4 and moisture resistant drywall?

Framing it out has the added benefit of making the ceiling for the room easier to install, but it's going to add a decent chunk of cost to the room.

If I leave it as drylock painted block, I'm going to need to tapcon or sleeve anchor a ledger board to it for hanging joists, and another for hanging plumbing and electrical boxes etc.

Regardless of this, I will be using rigid foam to insulate the sump on 3 sides, since it's so easy to do and will help keep heat in.

I've been stalling over this for a couple days, so any advice appreciated!

TLDR- basement fishroom- insulate and frame exterior block wall, yay or nay?

Cheers

Wall in question (pre second coat of drylock) -
9ac117eae7baa405a9afc178d22abc5b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a unheated basement room.

When I did glass tank/sump, it had foam insulation covering every side of the tank, and top.

Best move you could make in this case is a 100G Rubbermaid stock tank. use a 1/2" foam board for your insulated top. The plastic insulates well. Glass not so much.

All my water changes are under the house, and done just by emptying sump.

ATO is hooked up to sump, and ext skimmer plumbed into sump.

Most buried basements are pretty well insulated from the earth outside. Perhaps any contractors here would chime in, but I never have bothered to insulate my basement.

When I finished my basement I used standard 2x4 studs with fiberglass insulation. It made a noticeable difference in the comfort level of the basement. I would at least put some foam behind the tank

When I finished my basement I used standard 2x4 studs with fiberglass insulation. It made a noticeable difference in the comfort level of the basement. I would at least put some foam behind the tank

I would definitely insulate it if I intended it as a living space.

I'm just also wondering if insulating just the fishroom will help reduce long term energy usage in terms of heating. The wall itself feels cold to the touch, and I'm not sure if just insukat by the sump with 2" foam would be enough. However, it's probably a few years before any ROI, and adds to the complexity.

Cheers

yes insulating the cinder block walls can be very beneficial and will certainly have positive long term effects..

By itself it a cinder block wall has a very low R value.. (around 2)

Most buried basements are pretty well insulated from the earth outside. Perhaps any contractors here would chime in, but I never have bothered to insulate my basement.

Hi there

The basement doesn't get below 60 degrees, even now when it's 32 outside and 2 foot of snow. It's 3/4 below grade, with a side walkout (this wall is the 6 foot section that will be one of the fishroom walls).

The wall feels cold to the touch, so I was wondering if insulating will help me realise any energy savings overall. The sump is still getting 2" foam regardless.

Framing also makes it easier to hang joists for the "˜drop' ceiling (storage on top under the joists of the ground floor). Too many ducts and supply pipes to build that many soffits to hide it all. The room is going to be 8 feet high in a 12 foot basement.

If I leave it as block- I can use sleeve bolts to hold a ledger board up and hang joist from that. Not a huge deal but the quality of the block at this point (house is 23 years old) might make it questionable. I'd structurally support the ledger on each end with the other walls and use adhesive and bolts just to hold it against the wall.

Cheers

Just watch for condensation
I would frame it. Makes it easier for my needs. Studs can be placed where I need them. I would leave some sort of air gap if possible between the cinder block wall and your framed wall. Foam board would work too. Be sure to some foam under your sump. Concrete floors are cold in the winter.

yes insulating the cinder block walls can be very beneficial and will certainly have positive long term effects..

By itself it a cinder block wall has a very low R value.. (around 2)

Thanks for the input.

If I can get away with running fewer heaters (its 235g total water volume) , then I can calculate time to ROI based on energy savings.

It'll also make it easier to run conduit and hangers for plumbing since I can screw direct to the osb walls. Not a massive fan of tapcons or anchors into hollow block, since I haven't had the best luck. Electrical boxes and conduit is fine, but the thought of a ledger for hanging joists was giving me palpitations.

Cheers

I would frame it. Makes it easier for my needs. Studs can be placed where I need them. I would leave some sort of air gap if possible between the cinder block wall and your framed wall. Foam board would work too. Be sure to some foam under your sump. Concrete floors are cold in the winter.

Yep- I'm leaning that way.

1/2 inch extruded foam (r3) glued to block, 1/2 inch airgap, then 2x4 framed wall with r13 fiberglass batting, sheathed with osb painted with latex interior water resistant paint.

Sump will be elevated on a frame to reduce head pressure a bit, then all sides of sump sheathed in 1/2 inch foam.

Now I'm thinking that's over-kill...

Cheers

Back