[BBC] Great Barrier Reef oil disaster fear from stricken ship

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a mess, all the money they charge the world for oil and gas and them dumb, thoughtless people cant get it there safe. I say someone needs to go to jail for a very long time.

The Captain and his crew should be out there cleaning the mess up for the next ten years imo. Hope they weren't trying to take a shortcut like they have been recently with many of their exports.

Let's be honest this horrible act of irresponsible losers will go unanswered.
It sickens me that the US will do nothing, due to its unbelievable debt to China and Australia prolly does not have the resources to go after them.

As I understand, the company is going to be fined heavily and the captain will personally be fined $250,000. Not that it makes things right. It almost saddens me because the GBR is on my lists to visit. Hopefully there will be something to visit when I get to my list.

Let's be honest this horrible act of irresponsible losers will go unanswered.
It sickens me that the US will do nothing, due to its unbelievable debt to China and Australia prolly does not have the resources to go after them.

This statement is ridiculous. Of course the US will do nothing, as the US has no control over things that take place in the waters of other countries. Sheesh.

Let's not turn this into a political debate, lest this thread get closed.

Let's not turn this into a political debate, lest this thread get closed.
+1 lets keep this thread open, no need to inject politics into the mix.

I wonder what the long term damage will be. Hopefully they can get things cleaned up pretty quickly and minimize the damage.

After reading more, it seems like the captain was asleep at the wheel or trying to take a shortcut.

The tanker was carrying coal. Even if the tanker didn't crash into the reef, it's contents, once burnt, will contribute to the destruction of the great barrier reef. China and the multinational companys that work there need to power their factories to make 'stuff' for consumer societys like Europe and the U.S.

.... I believe the purpose of the thread is about a direct danger to the GBR not debating how coal has an indirect effect on it.

Any updates? I read that it's going to be a delicate process to remove the boat in fear that it will break in 2. there is about a 2 mile oil slick forming from the ship.

My question is how close to the reef are they? are they right on top of the reef or are they miles away from it???

This is a sad thing to see. It is one of those risks we take when we live in a modern world though. Accidents happen, though almost every 'accident' has a poor decision behind it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back