[BBC] Great Barrier Reef oil disaster fear from stricken ship

Status
Not open for further replies.
Queensland authorities have acknowledged the presence of a shortcut channel that the boat was traversing when it hit the reef. News sources say that there is at least one tanker a day taking the shortcut. I'm sure this means that you have to pay a bribe to use the shortcut and sometimes you run aground.
Corruption at its' finest.

Queensland authorities have acknowledged the presence of a shortcut channel that the boat was traversing when it hit the reef. News sources say that there is at least one tanker a day taking the shortcut. I'm sure this means that you have to pay a bribe to use the shortcut and sometimes you run aground.
Corruption at its' finest.

I was thinking this exact thing when I heard it was a 'shortcut'. Was hoping it was my cynical way kicking in but I wouldn't be surprised if there's kickbacks to traverse the channel.

It'll be interesting to see if they uncover such a thing during the investigation, and of course if they divulge the information to the public......

.... I believe the purpose of the thread is about a direct danger to the GBR not debating how coal has an indirect effect on it.

Any updates? I read that it's going to be a delicate process to remove the boat in fear that it will break in 2. there is about a 2 mile oil slick forming from the ship.

My question is how close to the reef are they? are they right on top of the reef or are they miles away from it???

The article says it's happend in the Douglas Shoals, so I would say they are very close to the reef. For it to be 'stricken' with a hole in it's fuel tank would mean it's fairly close too I would think. :spin3:

The local news is reporting oil slicks reaching North West Island (second largest coral cay on the GBR). The island also happens to be an important ecological sanctuary for turtles and marine birds.

Wow,
I stand corrected, after further reading I found that the captain can only be charged a maximum penalty of 37,000 Euros.

I cannot believe how careless we are with our planet. This incident and the others of related impact on the enviroment sicken me to a point beyond words. The sad truth is that it will take 20 years for the coral to reform but much longer for the reef to reestablish itself in what may never be the same area. My only consolation is that maybe after the natural reefs are gone our tanks may preserve some of the natural beauty and wonder found under the waves.

also to add to the oil in the oceans.

the oceans natural release crude oil into themselves everyday so with time the ocean can clean up its on oil spills or spills caused by humans, it just takes time.

i dont have the reference but i read somewhere that like 5 gallons of oil is natural released in the gulf of mexico everday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back