Beckett/Mazzei Skimmer Issue

ca1ore

Grizzled & Cynical
I'm playing around with an older MTC HSA1000 skimmer. Basically doubling the height, but as it fills the air draw on the Beckett injector declines. Since these devices work on differential pressure, I'm assuming the extra height increase output pressure and kills the air draw. I wonder if a mazzei would be less susceptible? Perhaps a bigger pump or raising the height of the Beckett? Any thoughts?

Doubling the height increases the head pressure as you are probably aware and the only way to compensate for that is with a larger pump. Especially considering the Becketts by themselves create a lot of head pressure. When I ran my big Barr SK5220 dual beckett, I fed it with an Iwaki RLT100 which kept the Becketts singing.

It'll be awesome. I'm running a barracuda on a large mazzei and it works great.

The old version of your skimmer had the injector on top of the lid so you may also try raising the injector height the same amount you extended it. It will put less back pressure on the injector.

Yeah I owned that version back in the day. Inaccessible Beckett was a major thumbs down. I’m planning on elevating the Beckett, I just cannot find the same unions as are on the current assembly. Grrrr ....

Lol 10 totes of plumbing parts. Sounds like me.. Ohh I have one of them I think, now what tote are you in. Hum. :hmm5:

Me too! Then followed up with looking through 4-5 totes then off to the plumbing store to just buy because it's easier and simpler. Then I go to throwsomething in a tote and low and behold all the pieces I just bought because I couldn't find them!
:lol:

Corey

Turns out the unions are Spears 1”, but they redesigned them recently and the new ones don’t fit the old ones. Appreciate the offer, but I’ll justvreplace them. Incidentally raising the Beckett solved the air suction loss problem.

Back