best bulb combination for growth..

candymancan

I have a 27g hexagon reef and i have a 4 bulb 24w t5ho fixture 8 inches above the water line.

I found a shop locally selling ATI 24w bulbs for only 10$ each so i bought 3 blue plus. 1 actinic. 1 purple plus and 1 coral plus. I also have the 6500k bulbs the fixture came with.

Ive been doing a lot of digging color spectrums for coral and so forth and some people say 6500k bulbs will grow coral the best some say no.

What bulb combination wiyh 4 bukb fixture do you guys think would be best for coral growth ?

So far ive tried every combination i can with these lights and the best looking combo is Blue plus, Actinic, coral plus, blue plus. The tank isnt too pink or too blue it has a nice color to it and the actinic really makes the coral stand out.. But i heard acyinic is pretty useless for growth so in a 4 bukb fixture with 24 inch tall tank and i wasting a needed slot ?

The next best look for coral and the tabk to me anyway is Blue plus, 6500k, blue plus, blue plus.

The three blues take the yellow from the 6500k and wash it out so the tank has a bluish white tone.. Like a light baby blue color.. with 3 blue plus coral still pop as well.

The other combo that looked decent qas Blue plus. Purple plus. coral plus. blue plus. But it had too much of a purple.pink hue to me.

So which one would be best for coral growth and also looks ?

Im thinking the 3x blue plus and 6500k it looks brighter as well . But i like the Blue actinic, coral plus, blue plus look better and it looks dimmer due to the actinic so im sure par is lower.

Here is how the two combo look.

First pic is Blue. actinic. coral plus. blue. In person it has a slightly more purplish look thrn on the pic but its close enough.

2nd pic is Blue. 6500k. blue. blue

Last edited:
You simply pick a color combination that you find visually appealing..
All the bulbs will grow corals just fine...
Everyone has their own personal preferences and no one combination is really better than the other.. Plenty of recommendations but no guarantees one is better than the other..

Enjoy the new tank..
How is the fish doing with the corals? Use caution there..

Cool thx for your opinion but ive been fish keeping for 20 years. If i want a flame angel in my tank ill put one in it. I have a 135g and 92 bowfront but they have my discus and angles and stuff in it.. The hexagon is all i had that would fit in the house and i wanted a flame angel

As for how its doing with the corals he doesnt bug em at all.

As for combinitations i noticed the clam and green nepthea seemed to perk up atand up more when i had 4 6500k lights before i got the blues and stuff.. and after i put the blues and actinic and coral plus in he doesnt perk up like he used too.. Guess ill need to experiment more

Last edited:
Blue+ is a high par bulb. The 6500k bulbs have a lot of green and red in them which your coral plus also has. So if you like the B+,A,C+,B+ combo then run that. Though, you should make lighting changes slowly.

Back