Best Glass Scraper

For glass, Tunze Care;

For acrylic, use Tunze with extreme caution. I've scratched acrylic with even the acrylic attachments. Ironically, I've used the metal blade quite a bit on acrylic without a scratch. Also, the design of the Tunze positions the magnets closer to the edge of the housing, which allows it to pick up ferrous material inside and out, which can damage acrylic tanks. You'd be surprised how much metal contamination can be in sand and live rock or around the perimeter of a tank.

Mr Clean ORIGINAL Magic Eraser is a Godsend for acrylic tanks. We place pads under the tunze small plastic blades when working on acrylic tanks for safety and scrubbing power. You can also slice it thin and use it with conventional magnets for stubborn plaque algae.

Slightly off topic, but can anyone suggest an acrylic-safe scraper? My Magfloat does a very poor job at the seems of my tank, and I'd love to clean the corners up, but the last thing I want to do is to scratch it all up.

I use a Kent marine scraper for corners and calcerous algae buildup. There is a plastic attachment for acrylic.

I bought the tunze and adore it. It's about the only thing semi functional in my tank lol

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

This is an old thread but any updated opinions are appreciated. Getting ready to set up a 120 glass reef. Flipper or Tunze?

Am I the only one that curse every time I use the flipper and call it a POS? Maybe it is somehow my glass. The first blade seemed to do pretty well but then it started missing spots so I bought 2 new blades. Both leave strips like the first one except all the strips are different on each blade. Too much money for something that doesn't work better than it does.
It runs right over coralline and you have to work at it. Not sure how it comes off like butter for some. Magnet could be stronger maybe.

Am I the only one that curse every time I use the flipper and call it a POS? Maybe it is somehow my glass. The first blade seemed to do pretty well but then it started missing spots so I bought 2 new blades. Both leave strips like the first one except all the strips are different on each blade. Too much money for something that doesn't work better than it does.
It runs right over coralline and you have to work at it. Not sure how it comes off like butter for some. Magnet could be stronger maybe.

Mine is great!!! Do u have the flipper or the flipper max? The max is for thicker glass

I have the standard. Good for my 1/2 inch glass they claim. Unless I got the wrong specs for my tank. Since the Marineland website didn't have the specs I sent an email asking for thickness.
I will try something else and re-purpose the flipper to my wife's tank.

U have the wrong one. Don't care what manufacturing says. Need max for 1/2 inch tank. I have both. I use max for display and regular for the 40 breeders

Tunze is good, but does not float. If I had a glass tank, I would probably choose flipper. I have 3/4 acrylic and wish I could afford a Mister Magnet.

I haven't used the Flipper, but for our service work, the Tunze is great up to 1/2" glass. Even on Acrylic, I have been using the stainless blade. With larger tanks, I use conventional strong magnets for the outer and the Tunze inner. Rounded corners on the metal make it fairly safe and the attachment keeps the blade straight against the surface. In fact, it's the only attachment that I HAVEN'T scratched acrylic with. The small attachments that are made for acrylic will start scratching without warning. They get burrs that you cannot see.
*** Be very clear that no one advises using metal to safely clean acrylic. This is just my experience.

Back