Best place to buy whole frozen seafood for Fish food

keithhays

Does anyone have recommendations for the best place to buy whole frozen seafood for fish food. Shrimp are available everywhere, but squid and small crabs are little more of challenge. Ideally, it would be a frozen mix, but separate is good too.
Keith

Just google whole fresh seafood, there are several places that pop up. My grocery has a nice seafood section but they only have whole tilapia and sometime one or two others. I was looking online for whole squids and the like for feeding sharks. ( I currently don't own a shark, but like to do my research and source things such as food in advance)

Last edited:
Go to the grocery store seafood section and get things wild caught and it will be better then any fish food on the market. Rumored clams are very good for your fish and tank but you have to open them yourself I haven't tried them as fish food though.

This can be expensive so I would use fish food formula too. Keeping it Ich free no Qt!
However many Marine animals like to chase something alive once in a while!

Some grocery stores have a seafood section where you can get fresh or frozen seafood. I get fresh shrimp, scallops and salmon (and sometimes clams), chop it up and mix together, then freeze in snack-sized ziploc bags.

There aren't any Asian markets near me so I have to resort to local grocery stores

Have you ever been to dorothy lane market? They have a pretty killer seafood selection.

There's also a place in Kettering called foremost seafood, I've not been there, but I've heard good things.

Have you ever been to dorothy lane market? They have a pretty killer seafood selection.

There's also a place in Kettering called foremost seafood, I've not been there, but I've heard good things.

I have been to DLM but I didn't see alot of whole wild caught fish for sale or things like whole squid. I was thinking about making a trip to Jungle Jims and seeing what they had to offer. I wish we has something like pikes place fish market around here... Not that im super picky by any means but if I buy a 700$ shark i want to make sure i have a nice selection of high quality food to feed

Not all whole seafood, but Trader Joe's Seafood Blend has whole shrimp, whole bay scallops, and calamari rings (aka cut up squid) for $7.99 for a pound. It's individually frozen. A few pieces might be frozen together, but for the majority it's easy to grab one piece out at a time. Been using it for over a year now, with some other treats thrown in, and every one is fat, healthy, and colorful (I do soak it in vitamins first as well FWIW.)

seafood%20blend.jpg

Not all whole seafood, but Trader Joe's Seafood Blend has whole shrimp, whole bay scallops, and calamari rings (aka cut up squid) for $7.99 for a pound. It's individually frozen. A few pieces might be frozen together, but for the majority it's easy to grab one piece out at a time. Been using it for over a year now, with some other treats thrown in, and every one is fat, healthy, and colorful (I do soak it in vitamins first as well FWIW.)

seafood%20blend.jpg

There are trader joes near me so I will be checking this product out... Thanks for sharing

Trader Joe's seems to be about what I am looking for. There is one close to me. I happened to stop by a Publix today and talked to the Fresh seafood guy. I can pretty order whatever I want and they will get it. They have a pretty massive list of wild caught fish and shell fish including (not what I am looking for, but interesting) lion fish filet. :dance:

Damn. I visited florida last year and loved Publix. Man the spicy chicken wings they sell.... bombbbbbbb!!!!

If you have a Sams club membership then go and buy the seafood paella mix. It is a mix of mussels, shrimp, squid, octopus, artificial crab (whitefish with some binders and colorants) and maybe something else I am missing. Have been using it for years with no issues and all the bigger predators, angels, and other carnivores love it. Also if you have a Gordon's food store around you get them to order a case of smelt for you. It is less than $1 lb here and they are big marine origin smelt, so lots of good HUFAs.

Hope this helps.

Personally I believe making your own food is the only way to go. Much higher quality and varieties can be made than you can buy and the savings are tremendous

yeah, I have noticed a big difference in how healthy (and full) my small reef fish are since I started stocking the predator tank in the system. After the big guys get their's, I mince up the leftovers for the little ones. Its a feeding frenzy. Before I started stocking the pred tank, I was just feeding them Formula two and Elos sv.m2. They eat it and love it, but they don't seem to get the same thing out of it.

Back