Best Shipping Procedures

What would you do in this situation? 8 hour or 30 hour heat pack on the outside?

as first saud, I would do an 8 hour on the inside. just dont take it for granted. that thing can get hot and you want to wrap it in at least a few layers of paper and newspaper and tape it to the top, and have several inches of insulation like peanuts or wadded up newspaper between it and the bags.

always remember that a little on the cold side is better than cooking. I over emphasize the need to be careful with 8 hour heat packs as I will never forget the first time I ever used them and I dont want anyone to repeat the accident on my recommendation

Im am going to be shipping about 40 zoa frags all in the same package sometime within the next month

How would I package these frags?

In there own individual bags, or maybe like ten in each bag?

Im worried that if I ship 10 in a bag that some of the corals may be knocked off of the plugs during shipping

I was also wondering how much water should I put in each bag, just to the top of the frags or a couple inches above, (with 40 frags its going to be alot of water weight)

How would you guys ship 40 zoa frags????????

How do you go about shiping through fedx? I went in to fedx and asked them if i could ship coral through them and the lady said they only ship live stuff for pet stores. I explained to her how that was not true because i had received shipments from private sellers before. She pulled out a rule book and showed me. So do you just not tell them what's in the box?

big clam to ship?

big clam to ship?

I gotta 7" clam to ship from CA to Florida and Fedex business rates. I think I'll do the bag w/ a lil air in the tefloned ziploc screw top (if I can find a big enough one) all filled w/ water and some peanuts. Then, in another bag, then peanuts bubbles into styrofoam box with 1-30 hr heat pack and 1-8 hr heat wrapped in paper taped on the inside of box. Glue gunned and taped shut. Then fitting box.

Is this too much heat? how about size of styro box for this one?

also, I recall some posts talking about how to declare and claim the corals as something else when insuring them through fedex because they will not insure corals. Does anyone know how to do this?? It's a bit fraudulent- I know.

How do you go about shiping through fedx? I went in to fedx and asked them if i could ship coral through them and the lady said they only ship live stuff for pet stores. I explained to her how that was not true because i had received shipments from private sellers before. She pulled out a rule book and showed me. So do you just not tell them what's in the box?
]

exactly, just tell them where you want the box to go and how.

im going to be shipping a expensive coral and its really cold out. its averaging 10 degrees at night. so i decided to do a practice run.i got a 3/4 inch line styrofoam box, packed with peanuts and added heat pack and adde a triple bagged of saltwater... starting temp was 78.6... i waited 30 min to add heat pack so it would get up to average temp which was about 120 degrees.. i let sit inside for about a half hour then i placed outside in my car overnight for approx. 6.5 to 7 hours.. the water temp was 52 degrees.. i dont think that a coral would have made that trip. any suggestions... i was thinking adding that box to a larger cooler then putting heat packs in that cooler.. but how long does it actually stay in the cold... its only being shipped about a 150 miles... i fell better if they would meet half way.... please help.. or maybe i should havehim wait till it gets a little warmer

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but here I go...
So Im buying a few corals from some one in Florida 34293
and he told me to find out the shipping cost to California 93030,
not sure of the weight, but its gonna be 5 zoas frags.
I want to figure out how much is it from the following,
UPSP priority and overnight thru fed ex/ups.
How do I go about this? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
mike

The only difference I see is most aquariums fly there corals by plane so they could only be dry rapped for a few hours where fedex and ups is almost 24 hrs or longer.

If you have ever dealt with airline freight you would know that it is almost never under 12 hours for anything.

I remember Florida farmers would start packing there shipments Sunday night at around midnight, finish around 4-5 am, drive the boxes to the air port and get them there by 6-8 am, get them on a flight by 10am-12pm, land them anywhere from 3pm to 6pm, then wait for the air lines union to get them to your truck for pick up which can take 20 minutes to 2 hours depending on there mood.

By the time you get them back to acclimate them, its almost been 24 hours since they were boxed up. And thats assuming there are no delays, work stoppages, traffic accidents, ect...which does happen more than you would think.

^that does depend on the airport.

I got my LR from TBSaltwater and shipped airline freight. To newark took 17 hours from door to door. To philly(2nd shipment) took 8 hours door to door. Both airports are the same distance and time from my house.

I read pgs 1 and 2, did not see notice of this, so I will add just for **** and giggles. I assume everyone insures their livestock while shipping. UPS and FedEx charge per $100. So if someone spends $150, insure the package for 150, or 200, it costs the same. Insure it for $200, and they lose/delay the package, make a profit.

Also, I know it was discussed on pages 1 and 2, although I did not see anyone give a definite answer about how they got good pricing on packages. The freight companies(ups and fedex and whoever else) give out GREAT deals if you send xxxxxx packages. My friend used to work for a shipping company, and he would tell me the inside scoop. If you wanted to send a UPS NDA envelope(like 12x10 for paper) and you go to a UPS store, it would cost you roughly $21. A company that sends out 10,000 of these packages a week(like a billing company, or a staples, or omething like that) pays $1.26 EACH!!!!(that is a UPS figure) and thats anywhere in continental US. I bet that's how people do it. Lastly, people said they "lied" on the weight and size of their package. FEDEX may reweigh, but 9x out of 10 with UPS, if it is off by a bit(3-5 lbs, or a few inches any direction) the ups guy can enter whatever weight he wants, or re-weighs it as in the truck. It is his discretion from what I understand.

I need new bulbs and 8 54 wat T5's aren't cheap! I was thinking about puttiing a frag pack up for sale to offset the costs. I have some specimen cups that are 4 1/2 oz. I was thinking about using these instead of bags. So the bag doesnt leak or explode. I think they would be fine for zoas or lps. The only problem I see was with sps. I think that them rattling around in the plastic container would break them. So basically I have 2 questions.

1. Is 4 1/2 oz. enough?
2. How could I secure the sps so they dont rattle around and break?

Thanks!

Just goto uline.com and order some 3 or 4 mil plastic bags, I think i ended up getting 1000 for $9.00 something. save your time and if your shipping up north you going to want to have 4 mil bags with heat pack, so they dont get cold.

Just goto uline.com and order some 3 or 4 mil plastic bags, I think i ended up getting 1000 for $9.00 something. save your time and if your shipping up north you going to want to have 4 mil bags with heat pack, so they dont get cold.

Does anyone know where or if you can pick up similar bags local like at a hardware store or something?

I know people have said not to cut up insulation to make your own styro boxes, but what if you glued all the edges so they were air tight? It is just so much cheaper to make your own.

I am sending out a package tomorrow from Gainesville, FL where the high temp on monday will be 94 and the low will be 72, to Charleston, SC where the high temp on tuesday will be 91 and the low temp will be 67. The buyer works for USPS and insists that she will get it next day if I ship it express. It will also be delivered to the USPS facility where she works. I have a bunch of styro that I used to line the small box with. The pieces that I am sending are not frags, they are on rocks about 5"x7" I got some good thick bags from the LFS. I was wondering weather or not to use an ice pack or not? I know that it will get hot enough to need one during the day, but it may get to chilly at night for one. What do you think?

would you use heat packs to ship Chaeto via USPS priority mail? Temp in Columbus is 23 to 15F overnight. I think Chaeto is very hardy, But I've never tested it at 25F or below for 48 hours.

I've been shipping Chaeto doublebagged in a quart bag, (with 1 cup of water) wrapped in newspaper/bubblewrap, in a Small USPS Priority shipping box.

Back