Best Shipping Procedures

Has anyone used or received packages lined with "Arctic Foil?" There is temperature data online for shipping things that are frozen with them, but all of the shipments of coral I've received use Styrofoam lined boxes. I'm thinking that arctic foil and peanuts might be much more efficient and cheaper to ship due to smaller boxes. Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks,
Ron

got 2 questions

do any of you that frequently ship corals every come across people that pretend that their order all died so they can either get their order for free or get 2 orders for the price of 1?

In terms of shipping fish i've seen one company that claims they ship their fish with a bit of that stress coating stuff. anyone else heard/do this?

do any of you that frequently ship corals every come across people that pretend that their order all died so they can either get their order for free or get 2 orders for the price of 1?

In about 10 shipments, I've never had that problem. I had one coral die in shipping (of maybe 100 shipped) and I refunded the amount of that coral.

got 2 questions

Absolutely, and it was the main reason I got out of selling corals. Always, always ask for clear pictures of any DOA corals before just to make sure. If someone got me pics within 24 hours of it arriving then it's all good. If it survived 24 hours it's user error after that.

A solid 50%+ of DOA claims wouldn't provide pictures, some sent blurry pics of stuff that was very much alive, and all of them got really aggressive about why they'd need to send pics ie "everyone who knows me knows I'm trustworthy". Yeah, well, I don't know you dude and you sound like a shady scammer to me. The other 50% were great people who sent pics and I was more than happy to help them be fully satisfied with their order.

In terms of shipping fish i've seen one company that claims they ship their fish with a bit of that stress coating stuff. anyone else heard/do this?

There's quite a few companies that do it and I've seen it in a lot of imports as well. Seems to work but I don't know too much about shipping fish to be honest.

Has anyone used or received packages lined with "Arctic Foil?" There is temperature data online for shipping things that are frozen with them, but all of the shipments of coral I've received use Styrofoam lined boxes. I'm thinking that arctic foil and peanuts might be much more efficient and cheaper to ship due to smaller boxes. Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks,
Ron

I was at Fraggle Reef the other day picking up some salt and they were using these, got an order from Coral Morphologic with the same, it's fantastic stuff. imo works better than styrofoam and a lot less fragile. And cheaper! Very cool :)

Thanks,
Ron

I just looked it up and it seems that arctic foil is used to keep stuff cold. Anyone know how it would work to keep corals warm?

I just cut styrofoam from Home Depot to fit boxes. I actually had a half a sheet of 1" lying around. A good knife cuts it easily enough. It makes a mess but it sweeps up easily.

When shipping corals I have used styrofoam and attached coral with a rubberband. If the coral is big then use a bigger piece of styrofoam. Always double or triple bag your animals with separate rubberband. Never had any problems. Have a great day!

Just received a shipment of corals (softies, polyps) and there were 7 corals total. 3 in one ziploc bag (seperately bagged inside) and 4 in the other. All the frag plugs were attached to styrofoam, and the corals were shipped in a large styrofoam box. Also there was a heat pack on the lid of the box.

I’m eternally grateful to this community - without it my reef would not be where it is today. The next step is to sell/ship frags at reasonable prices via the propagated coral part of this forum. However nailing down the right way to ship corals is a must. This thread has been helpful, but info is sporadic and not a lot of detail. Please hammer this as appropriate. But note to date, I have not shipped a single coral. I basically searched - cut and pasted all the ref link material (below) and including this one into one document, and went through it a dozen times to summarize it to this point. My plan is to (a) finalize shipping best practices (b) validate material order list and then order it all (c) get certified via FedEx (d) offer frags via this forum

For best practices on how to ship SPS coral, there are two main areas that I’m still uncomfortable with.

First, is whether or not to put O2 or Air in with the container during shipping - or not to, leaving just water in the container (bag or p-cup). If the consensus is to use air, should it be normal air, or O2 from a bottle? 1/5 the water volume?

Second, is when and how to use heat packs or cool packs. When a styro box is sealed, heat packs essentially lose the ability to heat after using up the air in an air tight box. This seems to be the method most used from shipments I’ve received. I assume the goal is to get a good temp inside the box so when it’s sealed up, the vacuum is less susceptible to outside cold temps. My question in all this is – is it better to leave a small deliberately made hole to let air in a bit so the heat packs still function? For cold packs, I’ve read if the transient temp is going to be over 85deg F, then use a cold pack. I’d gather that the cold pack will work even if the box is all sealed up. It’s kind of cryptic on when to use the cool pack though.

(GAP) Air in the coral container
(GAP) Heat packs and loosing heat when there is no o2
(GAP) When to cool or not to cool a box

Process
(1) Define best materials to have
a. Containers (boxes)
b. Bag sealing
c. Bags
d. Box fillers
e. Cold and heat packs
f. O2?
(2) Now that you have materials, See three options to ship
a. Confirm orders, payment, and shipping date
b. Option 1 I Like this one best
c. Option 2
d. Option 3

Shipping Best Practices
Purpose: Nail down a specific, repeatable shipping method that foremost gives the corals the best possible change of survival from my reef to the next. Cost is always a factor in both materials, and shipping so ideally want to keep costs down, which benefits everyone.

Containers
Purpose: Protect the life within its grasp. There are two parts, the box itself and the insulating capacity of that box.

Boxes:
Boxes can be premade with a single styrofoam cooler inside with a perfectly made lid, or a normal box with a sort of DIY insulation, or an already tailored bubble wrap insulating shell.

First, my plan is to target reusing medical shipping containers that are used to ship medications. This is a premade styrofoam cooler inside. Essentially safes both shipper and buyer money, since I should be able to get them for free as it recycles/reuses. Second in my opinion is this type of box is a more sturdy container to protect the corals inside against crushing. Let’s face it, a simple search on youtube confirms how badly boxes are treated, no matter what is written on them. Third, medial shipping tends to use smaller boxes, which in turn saves on the sipping.

If can’t get reuse, I’d explore both buying premade, or using bubble insulation - cool shield bubble packs (has a R value of 9 which is equal to a 1" of styro). Since box size is directly tied to shipping price, might still be worth exploring using bubble insulation. Personally, I’ll never get into buying sheets of styrofoam and cutting to fit that within a box. Too much time, and quality issues in my opinion to make it worth wile. Not knocking anyone who does this, but I don’t like the idea of cutting up styrofoam and making a mess. I have enough of a chore removing salt spray off everything in the house.

Found this helpful, although don’t know how true it is: An 8x8x7 box is a good size for small frag packs because its about as big as you can go before the price shoots way up. For example, an 8x8x7 box shipped priority overnight can cost $55 but if you ship a 12x12x12 box it can cost almost $90.

Size:
I didn’t realize that the size of the box makes a BIG difference. I learned this from earlier in this thread, that FedEx uses a formula called "dimensional weight" of (Length x Width x Height) / 194 rounded up to the next pound *OR* actual weight rounded up to the next pound, whichever is more. So, if you ship a box 12 x 9 x 10 you’ll pay for 6 pounds even if it only weighs 4 pounds. So even if you shipped an empty box, it's not just the weight but also how much space it takes up on the aircraft. Always use the smallest box you can get by with. This is tricky since right now while it's cold, the larger box with more water has more "mass" to keep the temp from fluctuating so much. I don’t know what the sweet spot is, but it was written in one of the reference links that if you're going to pay for 6 pounds anyway, you might as well put more water in the bags, the frags will arrive in better shape. Strategy is to use enough water to support 24-48hrs in transit, even though a goal is to shoot for 16 hrs door to door.

Back