Best substrates for replacement live sand

marinerules

I am planning this weekend to replace my sandbed in my 240 gallon saltwater octopus tank, When i first set the tank up , I used a mixture of live sand and regular brown playsand and im just ready to get it looking back like a white sand bed like you find in the ocean , I was wanting to use natures ocean live bacterial sand as its really pretty, white, and small pink specs in it and doesnt seem to cause massive sand storms when you to to moving things around.

I have also seen some of the substrates on the carribsea website such as the white oolic sand, whats this look like compared to the natures ocean live bacterial sand

would i be better off , just going one kind of substrate such as the natures ocean to avoid bad sandstorms, or could I get some Southdown or oldcastle sand to , Its just Ive heard that the southdown sand will cause sandstorms all the time if you ever move it , no matter how much bacteria is growing in it .

the only way I could get sothdown sand is to ask a fellow reefer on here to get it for me, which I have done in the past and Have had some in the past , but its been too long ago for me to remem ber what it was like and that particular tank wasnt up for very long as it was when i frist started out and i wasnt as responsible as i am no keeping marine organisms,

thanks please post your inputs.

Back