bill H.R 669???

bugbdon

has anyone heard of this bill?

H.R.669

Title: To prevent the introduction and establishment of nonnative wildlife species that negatively impact the economy, environment, or other animal species' or human health, and for other purposes.

Sponsor: Rep Bordallo, Madeleine Z. [GU] (introduced 1/26/2009) Cosponsors (11)

Latest Major Action: 1/26/2009 Referred to House committee. Status: Referred to the House Committee on Natural Resources

if passed, i'm told it would make it illegal to sell tropical marine animals/plants/ ect.....

a friend of mine told me about this because it would affect her snakes.

this would also have a huge inpact on our hobby!! (and the industry)

anyone with more legal knowledge, than myself, know more
about this?

I wouldn't get too excited about this. Every few years there's a bill that comes up that gets people worked up claiming that it will shut down the hobby. Most don't pass and the few that have (the Caulerpa law in California comes to mind) haven't had any major impacts on the hobby despite the dire predictions.

This one actually looks like one of the better ones I've seen and after a quick reading it certainly doesn't look like the end of the hobby to me. It includes a grandfather clause and means for anyone to propose a species be added to the approved list.

You can see the full bill here:
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:H.R.669:

thanks.....i know it has some snake forums in an uproar. i wasn't sure how big of a threat it really was

There have been a few threads here already about this bill.

Similar bills have been proposed and failed in the past. Maybe this will be the year it gets passed, or maybe they'll have to try again next year. As a reefkeeper and leopard gecko owner, I'd rather it doesn't pass in its current form.

so, if you guys are so worried, lets take action and propose our own bill that requires certain con ditions in which all live sock must be kept, and transported in!

it may cost us more, but we all preach about wanting it, time to put the time and effort where our fast tying fingers lie.

i will contact a few reefers, and set up a thread, i would write the entire bill, but am bussy with a more important one, however i would gladly help with this in my spare time.

Back