Bio-pellet users long term

LinkinReef

Pretty sure it's been asked about running bio pellets in a sps tank but wondering who's been using it at long term up to now?

What bio pellets, reactor and pump combo do you use?

Any clumping issues?

How many months ruining them?

Almost done cycling a new tank that will be a sps dominant tank and was wondering if it might be a good idea to start running bio- pellets before stocking the tank?

I've never used them but i have read articles where as soon as they started using bioballs they had either an algae issue at the start or bleaching/tissue loss on sps or both. I'm not sure why the algae issue but it goes away, but the issue with the sps is due to the nutrient swing, so i would say if you are going to use them do it from the start or if it is an add-on down the road, don't add the full amount of bioballs, just part of the recommended amount and work your way up.

I started carbon dosing shortly after my cycle with vodka. Despite water changes I could not get my nitrates down. Got tired of dosing and added biopellets with a cheap Phosban reactor and within a couple weeks nitrates were undetectable with a Salifert test kit.

Only thing you have to watch for is burning the tips is your sps if you are running high Alk and biopellets. Acro seem to be sensitive to high Alk while running biopellets.

Btw no algae problems or cyano problems. Just low nitrates. My reactor outlet feed straight into the skimmer inlet.

I started carbon dosing shortly after my cycle with vodka. Despite water changes I could not get my nitrates down. Got tired of dosing and added biopellets with a cheap Phosban reactor and within a couple weeks nitrates were undetectable with a Salifert test kit.

Only thing you have to watch for is burning the tips is your sps if you are running high Alk and biopellets. Acro seem to be sensitive to high Alk while running biopellets.

The problem isn´t the Alk with the biopellets, but the fact that with carbon dosing you will get an ULNS and for that kind of system the Alk should be between 6.5 and 7.5 , if it raise to much the coral tips will burn.

The problem isn´t the Alk with the biopellets, but the fact that with carbon dosing you will get an ULNS and for that kind of system the Alk should be between 6.5 and 7.5 , if it raise to much the coral tips will burn.

Not sure of the biology behind it. I know it just happens. :) I run biopellets and feed my tank generously. My corals look great without any pesky algae problems. The OP did say "long term users" and I DO NOT fall into that category. Maybe I'm speaking "out of school" so to speak, but I like them so far and have had good results.

I have been running bio pellets for about 2.5 years. I use BRS pellet reactor and run effluent into skimmer. I only run about 2/3 recommended amount and no Cyano problems. Lots of flow in my tank. 2 mp40 and 2 mp10 on a 120 gallon all sps tank.

Same for me as above. Running 1/3 of reccomended amount into skimmer. High flow bb tank and no algae/cyano. I do have green dust on glass often, but attribute to dosing Acropower all night.

Pretty sure it's been asked about running bio pellets in a sps tank but wondering who's been using it at long term up to now?

Any clumping issues?

Almost done cycling a new tank that will be a sps dominant tank and was wondering if it might be a good idea to start running bio- pellets before stocking the tank?

I have been running ecobak for over 3 years in an avast MR5 reactor with their bio pellet shower head mod. No clumping issues ever. I currently run it off my main return pump through a manifold. I just have to clean the reactor every 4-6 months. I am a true believer in using them from the very start. As your bio load increases they will adjust. So much easier than changing out expensive GFO all the time. I do however believe that if your tank is smaller than 60 gallons and you dont have a large capable skimmer you should probably use some other means for export of p04 and n03.

Any clumping issues?

I started running Warner Marine Ecobak back in January of 2010. I ran it continuously until October 2013 when I took the tank down. I started with 2 liters and never changed or added to the original batch.

I ran mine in a 24” tall Precision Marine Media Reactor (bottom sponge removed) run by a Maxi Jet 900.
Never had clumping issues. And never cleaned anything other than the top sponge.

I ran my alk at 10 – 10.5 and never had any issues.

I also ran my pellet reactor return into my fuge which made my pod population explode. I never saw a need to run it directyly to the skimmer as SPS can feed off of bacteria also.

I ran no GFO and carbon for a doy or two every 3 months or so.

I started running Warner Marine Ecobak back in January of 2010. I ran it continuously until October 2013 when I took the tank down. I started with 2 liters and never changed or added to the original batch.

I ran mine in a 24" tall Precision Marine Media Reactor (bottom sponge removed) run by a Maxi Jet 900.
Never had clumping issues. And never cleaned anything other than the top sponge.

I ran my alk at 10 "“ 10.5 and never had any issues.

I also ran my pellet reactor return into my fuge which made my pod population explode. I never saw a need to run it directyly to the skimmer as SPS can feed off of bacteria also.

I ran no GFO and carbon for a doy or two every 3 months or so.

+1 to this, but I run my output pointed at the skimmer intake, just not directly into it allowing some of the byproduct to feed the tank. Been working great for a few months now.

Thanks for the input guys!

I was looking at both the aquamaxx and the cadlights reactors. I like the fact that the cadlights one has the pump built under the reactor so it saves space but I'm kind of done with their products after some bad experiences with their tanks. The aquamaxx seems very appealing right now as I like how the pellets spin around as opposed to tumbling around.

I'll probably set it up right away as the tank is new to hopefully get better results this way. I'll start with 1/3 of the recommended amount. Still reading about which pellets are the ones that get better results. Aquammaxx biomaxx plus, np bio-pellets, ecobak pellets or the TLF npx bio pellets

Back