Birdsnest gone Fowl?

Hdhuntr01

008.jpg

Have any of you ever experienced this before. Looks like hair algae but it is a dark pink.

never saw anything like it. have you taken a sample out of the tank and examined it for
texture or what not?

It's been getting thicker ever since I bought it a couple months ago. At first I thought it was hair algae but it's the only item in the tank that looks this wsy and it is a deep pink / purple.

cant tell from the photo but if you are saying its kind of like hair algae - I am going to say pink cotton candy algae - google it for more info.

Also could be a sponge. Have seen both of them do that to corals - both will kill the coral as well. If its algae, you may want to consider just taking the frag out and getting a new one vs. spreading it to the rest of the tank by trying to pick it off.

good luck

I have a problem with this stuff. It is Cotton Candy Algae, grows really fast and takes over. I would frag up the birds nest and throw out the rest with the CCA on it. Trust me you dont want it in you tank. It took over my fuge and moved into my display.
Here is a pic of it taking over the sand bed. I have been fight it for about a year now, nothing eats it and it thrives even 0.0 PO4.
corals077.jpg

Could very well be sponge take it out of the tank for a few minutes
IT won't hurt it being out of water promise
if it is sponge being out of water will kill it but you still need to
pick it clean before you put it back in the tank
that should help no matter what it is

Trust me it is algae. Coral Rx will do nothing. The coral looks healthy but the CCA will completely over grow the BN and it will die.

Yeah ,I agree its a turf algae.Ive had it and found the most effective way to deal with it is turbo snails.You will be amazed how fast they will devour that stuff.I used 5 on a 90gal. tank.

I have a problem with this stuff. It is Cotton Candy Algae, grows really fast and takes over. I would frag up the birds nest and throw out the rest with the CCA on it. Trust me you dont want it in you tank. It took over my fuge and moved into my display.
Here is a pic of it taking over the sand bed. I have been fight it for about a year now, nothing eats it and it thrives even 0.0 PO4.

Yeah I'd have to go +1 on this. I've never had and never want to, and from what I've read you never want to either. Frag the coral, and toss the rest, infecting a tank with a pest isn't worth it.

I had the red turf algae thats looks more branching than fuzzy, and mexican turbo snails ate all of it in 3 days. I had a lot too... But I dunno if yours is the same as what I had, yours looks more fuzzy.

Yeah ,I agree its a turf algae.Ive had it and found the most effective way to deal with it is turbo snails.You will be amazed how fast they will devour that stuff.I used 5 on a 90gal. tank.
Tried them, tangs I have a yellow and yellow eye, hermits, different snails, cooking the rock, GFO, carbon, wet skimming, reduced feeding, carbon dosing, manual removal nothing really works long term. I took my fuge out because CCA over took it, tried cooking my fuge LR for a month, replaced all the sand and run no lights in the fuge for a month. Dam stuff still can back and took over in less than a month!

~Allsps40.

Not doubting your experience with what you had.It does look just like the stuff I dealt with though, and after I seen Gary M. post he found turbo snails to be effective I went with it.I did find the turbos to be real effective even though I had 2 tangs ,several sp. of snails & crabs they woundn't touch the stuff.
Then again, it maybe a differnt type of algae ,probably wouldn't hurt to try one turbo to see if it starts taking to the algae.

Yeah you said the algae you had was tuff, this is very delicate not some much that strong flow will pull it apart but manual removal is very easy. I will get 1 turbo and try it out. Turbo as so large that they knock frags off.

corals077.jpg

I had that stuff three weeks ago and was ready to close shop! Got me 4 mexican turbos and that was the end of the cotton candy.

Back