Black and White Clownfish with Regular Clownfish

As a general rule you can have one pair of any species (i.e. Percula or Ocellaris), color doesn't matter. You could have a normal clownfish with a black clownfish with no problem, as long as they're the same species. Having more than one pair of clownfish is a recipe for disaster. I tried it in a 300 gallon tank with no success, and there are multiple hiding places/hosts. You could get lucky, but its not worth it.

I'm currently have 3 ocelaris clownfish so I want to try adding a pair of black clownfish, still don't know if it's a good idea or not.

I have a black and reg clown together. Been together for 2 years. Also in same tank a clarke and tomatoe clown. They were all together in a 125 and a 180 for about a year. Just recently moved out the black and regular clown. There is some aggression. No one had killed anyone yet :)

We currently have 8 in my 200 gallon at work. A coworker that is a freshwater guy (dont ask) bought 8 we already had 1 large female in the tank. I told him it won't work, theyll kill eachother off. There was 1 false percula in the bunch that they killed off. They have been living together now for several months. One pair is even hosted by a green bubble tip.

Back