Black tang not interested in nori

skyrye7

I have a black tang and offer it the Oean Nutrition marine algae sheet (brown, red and green) but it would not touch any of it....no interest at all.

It also doesn't graze the rocks as much...just waiting for pellet to be fed nd he would gobble it up. Is this normal?

I have a kole, yellow and purple tang...they always graze the rocks and happily accept the nori....so I'm just at a loss that the black tang show no interest

Any idea how to get him to start eating it?

Try tearing small pieces off into the water column. New tangs don't usually recognize sheet nori as food right away.

I assume the black tang is new & his tankmates are intimidating him? Maybe set up multiple grazing areas so it can try in relative peace. what size is your tank & which tangs were there first? Any others besides the yellow, purple & kole?

I cut my nori into strips like a fringe and then using some selcon or other food dip lets them know its food. After that it will last 5 seconds.

I cut my nori into strips like a fringe and then using some selcon or other food dip lets them know its food. After that it will last 5 seconds.

+1 on Selcon. No experience on Black Tangs, but it works for a baby Blue Tang. From my experience with Blue Tangs before, they're harder to get to eat Nori.

I don't have any other tang other than purple, kole and yellow.

The black tang is now the boss of the tank as his size is larger than the rest...eventhough the others are established in the tank first....

He bullied the yellow tang and kept it in a corner....so I am rulling out him being intimidated by the rest

Am gonna try selcon and see if it works...

How long has it been in the tank. You might try feeding it eat algae flakes (I use Omega One) so it is getting green food until it starts eating nori.

Back