Blastomussa...Merleti or Wellsi??

ReefFreaks

In Memoriam
I have seen the same(or extemely similar) coral listed as both. I have seen many variations listed as both. I bought what I thought was a Wellsi. I have been fragging it for over a year and have over 100 frags that I am ready to take to the next swap. I want to have an accurate id. Is there a good place to find Blasto id's? Sorry, not talented enough to post a pic. Any help is appreciated.

If youre able to frag it that quickly, its likely B. merletti. The thing to look for is the skeletal structure. If the polyps are coming out of fairly tall, thin tubes that form a fairly dense cluster, it is merletti; if they are flat to the rock, with skeletons much wider than they are tall, its probably wellsi. Wellsi grows MUCH slower than merletti, and is a bit more difficult to keep alive.

I'll have to pay more attention the next time I get my hands wet. These grow like crazy, and I am not to diligen with tank maintanence. I was leaning toward Merletti, but not for the reasons you posted. Thanks for the input.

Back