Blind blenny with jaw damage can't eat and is starving to death

llyles25

I've had an orange spot blenny for at least 4 months and had been doing fine up until recently. Several weeks ago I made the startling discovery that he had gone blind although there is no physical evidence to suggest it. His eyes are perfectly clear, no scratches, abrasions, cysts, glossiness just nothing. I don't exactly know when it happened but I noticed that his behavior changed to sitting at the bottom and scooting along and he couldn't locate food. I've taken extra steps to hand feed him but now I've noticed that his mouth is gaping open, his breathing is heavy and every time he does eat, he spits the mysis out immediately after he puts it in his mouth. when I looked closely at his mouth it honestly looks recessed as if even if he did close it, it wouldn't meet up with his top lip. Does anyone have any idea, a disease maybe? a dip? medication? anything to help him?

Because of how strange all this is (after 11 years I've never heard of a fish going blind with clear eyes and then not being able to eat soon after) I was ready to admit defeat and accept the sad truth that he's going to die but after a water change I just did and watched my black ocellaris herd him away from the siphon and attack my hand when I went the direction of the blenny, I have to try if just for the clownfish's sake.

if he's breathing heavy that is a sign of water quality or parasites usually. Is it possible he has flukes that are on his eyes? Also a yawning type motion can be a sign of flukes. You could try a fresh water dip

I don't see any parasites externally and I doubt water quality would affect him eating. The only theory I have is that it's a parasite inside of him. I think I'll try metroplex although I'd much rather use straight metronidazole...I'm out though

Water quality would definitely effect a fish. Dont know if you have water quality issues but it would be better if you share those with us. Also you mostly cant see flukes with a naked eye on a fish. They are nearly transparent.

Blind fish will almost always have night time coloration. Does your fish show darkened coloration?

You can sometimes see flukes, and especially on the eye. It is kind of opaque.

1b2d8c4a88ee8ca868ca4b94a5753bb1.jpg

Sometimes fish just go blind. You could try a FW dip, just look for flukes. As for why he isn't eating, it could be b cause of his vision or he's sick.

Does his belly look pinched or swollen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my research of fish disease I have read sometimes fish appear to be blind when in fact there slowly dying it was said the fish will do there night time swimming behavior. Which according to that article fish have some sort of light emitting bacteria that grow in a pocket under the eye to help with night vision. Now take this for what it is because I did not follow up on it. However my point being is if the the said fish is swimming slowly so as to not swim into anything they cannot see in the dark and there doing during the day then this could be a blind fish

If the fish is blind you need to get some Finquel (also known as Tricaine) and sedate the fish to the point it humanely kills the fish. You can't save a blind fish

Back