Blue gigantea anemone on the move

Basizeland

I have had this gig for 5 months and the LFS that I got it from had it for 1-2 years in their Display tank.

When I put it in my tank it found its spot near where I placed it and was happy there for 3 months but has since started to wander around which doesn't bother me its just it has picked a spot underneath an overhang so isn't getting much light. It constantly moves around it will move on top of the rock directly under my ATI sunpower 8x54w light and spend a day or 2 there then head back under the rock most of the time half of it will be hanging out in the light with the other half under the rock.

My parameters are stable at ALK 7.5, Calc 450, Mag 1300. Nitrates below 0.5, phosphate between 0.01 - 0.03 temp between 26.5 - 27.5 and salinity is 1.025.

Does anyone have some ideas why it keeps moving around?

This photo is all I have on me at the moment and is before it started wandering
5226230e89b0988753976d56ca13ad23.jpg

Will get a better one when I get a chance tomorrow

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

Purely a guess.

I'd get my alk up to 9-10, and give it more flow. I find mine wander a bit when flow goes down. They don't move normally.

Hi Taylor thanks for the reply.

I will try moving it into a higher flow area because there is definitely enough flow have a fair bit of SPS in the tank and they are thriving with plenty of PE.

I will look into the ALK I know the LFS that had it before me ran their ALK around 7 as well

I never had gigs wandering around due to water parameters, and I kept some in pretty thick soup. It's usually flow or light that causes them to look for a better place.
In this case I would have a closer look at the light, especially the spectral composition. Also how old are the bulbs?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I recently switched from radions to the ATI sunpower 8x54w that was probably 2 months ago before it started to move but it's hard to buy ATI stuff in Australia so the place I bought it from didn't have any blue plus bulbs so have had to wait till they got more stock in. It currently has 2 coral plus, 2 actinic, 2 blue special and 2 purple plus.

I didn't realise they would be specific on the spectrum of light I will be getting the blue plus bulbs this week so will see if it makes a difference

Just an update I added 4 blue plus bulbs so it now has 4 blue plus, 2 coral plus and 2 actinic.

It has been like that for a few days but the gig was still hidden under the rock so this morning I got under the rock and removed it from the rock and moved it out underneath the light. I didn't want to move it but am getting worried about it because it has shrunken a lot from its original size before it went hiding. Definitely at least a third of the size of what it was.

Here is a picture of it now it is still settling in and has moved a little from where I placed it a few hours ago

2e15752c9115804cc6e33c264c79723d.jpg

my gigs only moved to get more flow i keep mine under 250 watt metal halide and there is a maxspect gyre 150 that gives him the flow he needs.

Some of the warning signs: open mouth, pastel color, tentacles shorter than when fully healthy (though these symptoms may be distorted due to the blurry photo). Also the fact that it's shrinking. I find this odd though since it's been in captivity for such a long time. It looked a lot better in your first photo though which is why I'm concerned.

Thanks for your replies I have been looking into treatment but can it do any harm if that's not the reason behind why it's not doing so well?

No I am not running a calcium reactor just dosing 2 part

The first step would be to remove it and put it in a QT tank, which won't do any harm. If it perks up in QT without treatment, then you'll immediately know that something in your tank is causing the problem. I suspect that if you keep it in the DT and it keeps getting worse, then it may get past the point where treatment can be effective.

Just an update I spoke with the LFS that I got it from and they suggested that I put it in a breeder box in the DT because everything else is thriving and didn't want to stress it any more than it was.

I watched it very closely to ensure it didn't decline anymore and had the quarantine tank ready in case it did.

It has been about 5 days since I moved it and is starting to look better have a photo to show it.

When people say the anemone deflated what exactly are you looking for to tell is it shrinking or the tentacles thinning never really understood what exactly it meant.

2b37c3bd78a018036f76967f1c72271d.jpg

If he's deflating shrinking in size and not holding himself up and starting to look a bit flat. In that picture he still just looks unhappy if he gets smaller or his tentacles stay short I'd treat him with cipro just to be on the safe side it won't hurt to treat him for a week. I've never kept them under compacts though but I have seen them thriving under them maybe add more see if he likes it I know they like to be blasted with light I have my purple gig under 350 watts of lighting. It moved around a lot just under the 150 watt halide so I uped the lighting by replacing the 150 watt with a 250 and I added a 100 watts in led mixed blue and whites and it hasn't moved since. Hope this helps:) do you know what lights they kept him under at the lfs?

Thanks for the reply and clarifying that. Will look into getting some Cipro to have on hand just in case. As far as I know here in Australia you need a prescription to be able to purchase it so need a way to get it. I will keep an eye on it in terms of the light the tank it was in at the LFS also had T5s and was happy there so might just need to get it at the right height in the tank

Same here just order fishflox on eBay it's cipro but you don't need a prescription for that because it clearly states for ornimental fish use only :)

And cool so you its just gotta find its spot:) I would definitely recommend trying the cipro jut in case whenever you get it like you said just keep an eye on it until then I know from personal experience that catching the infection in the bigining stages is crucial for a successful treatment :) best of luck keep me updated and if you can't find or get the fish flox I'll send you some I have plenty ��

Just an update the gig is doing better starting to get a little bigger and the tentacles are extending.

Having it in the box has forced it to be in the light all day which has helped and also feeding him small bits of prawn every couple of days.

06b6e5e683f77cb8aac45660dc4cf6d5.jpg

Back