Blueberry gorgonian question

riverbum

I was wondering if anyone could tell me something about "Blueberry" grorgonians. I saw one at the LFS today that I would realy like to have but haven't read about them before. (I did try searching here but it is disabled today.)

My tank has MH lighting with good shady spots as well. The LFS person told me (well, implied might be a better word) that they don't seem to care too much. She did mention that they do expand better good indirect current...

Thanks.

I've never heard of a "blueberry gorgornian." Could you describe it?

Kevin

I have had one of these so called "blueberry" gorgonians for a few months. it is actually a frag. I tdoesn't seem to care wether it is in light or not but it does appreciate good water flow that is not too direct. When I kept mine in the light, it began to get a little algae growig on it although there was no algae anywhere in the tank so I have moved it to the shade. it is truly beautiful but it absolutely requires to be fed. I can see some growth on my piece but that is because I can target it feed it a few times a week and concentrate the food in the 12 gallon it is in. I also stir a small part of the sand so that it may catch some detritus or other small organic particulates for it to feed on. As far as food, I have been feeding it cyclopeeze after hydrating for at least a few hours. I think it is hardy in the sense that it hasn't been affected by any rapid wasting syndromes like gorgs can get but it is still high maintenance in the sense that it requires regular feeding.

Anemone said:
I've never heard of a "blueberry gorgornian." Could you describe it?

Kevin

Sure, the one at the LFS looked like a small leafless oak tree (many small branches) and had bright blue polyps. It looked very tree like as oppsed to some of the long flowing gorgonians. It body (the branches) has medium gray color.

I hope that helps.

coralite said:
I have had one of these so called "blueberry" gorgonians for a few months. it is actually a frag. I tdoesn't seem to care wether it is in light or not but it does appreciate good water flow that is not too direct. When I kept mine in the light, it began to get a little algae growig on it although there was no algae anywhere in the tank so I have moved it to the shade. it is truly beautiful but it absolutely requires to be fed. I can see some growth on my piece but that is because I can target it feed it a few times a week and concentrate the food in the 12 gallon it is in. I also stir a small part of the sand so that it may catch some detritus or other small organic particulates for it to feed on. As far as food, I have been feeding it cyclopeeze after hydrating for at least a few hours. I think it is hardy in the sense that it hasn't been affected by any rapid wasting syndromes like gorgs can get but it is still high maintenance in the sense that it requires regular feeding.
Jake- I sent you a PM regarding your "Blueberry Gorg".

That's the critter, kmk. Can someone that has Borneman's book look it up and post the scientific name of it?
Everytime I refer to it as a 'Blueberry Gorgonian' I get hungry.

It's in Borneman's book but it isn't named. The picture just says "Unidentified Red Sea gorgonian."

Kevin

Gary,
I didn't know you had one. What are you feeding it? I will read in Borneman's book some more and see if i can try looking up the diet of the most similar looking gorgs. Some gorgs that looked something like the "blueberry gorg" we are discusing here so they might have similar diets.

coralite,
What kind do you feed your gorg?

Kevin

Back