BobbyV's Marineland 300DD Starphire Project

BobbyV

Established since 2008
So the time has come that I begin the journey of the infamous 300 DD. I started this hobby in 2009 with a 29g Bio Cube. Then wanting more of a challenge, I decided to take on a 120g Oceanic Starphire Tech Tank. Now it is time design a 300DD system. This system will be a complete in the stand build. Feel free to add suggestions along the way. Thank you for your interest.

That is awesome - I am going to take my time in this build. I think the most fun in this hobby is to build the tank systems themselves. If you need my diagram on the exact measurements of the stand build I can send them to you no problem. I know that this Cyber Monday after Thanks Giving I am going to buy most of my super expensive equipment in one swoop so that I save the most on the pumps and skimmer. But then again, the pumps I want are the vortechs and I highly doubt they will be on sale. I currently going use 2 Ecotech LED Radions. So once I take them off my 120, I am going to purchase one more to complete the set of 3. I heard a rumor that the LED pucks are going to be upgraded by the manufacture as a more power option, so 3 Radions in my opinion should be ok. If I need more power, then I will re-evaluate when the time comes.

These are some pics of my current DIY stand build. 73 x 37 x 44

I had to go tall - I figure I will own this tank for a very long time. I don't want to always bend over to see what's going on.

Important to have the tank frame sitting in the middle of the wood as best as possible.

Go the wood from the friendly local Home Depot in Sun City.

2012-07-07_18-17-14_998.jpg

The bottom frame will be 2 x 4's while the legs and top half with 2 x 6's. I also went with some really nice secure ply wood for the top and bottom.

2012-07-08_09-43-00_101.jpg

Invested in some high quality anti corrosive screws and made sure to add a little bit of water sealant to the wood.

2012-07-08_09-44-10_875.jpg

2012-07-08_14-41-33_840.jpg

This past weekend was brutal. Sam's club for the industrial fan to keep my from passing out! It was so hot, I had to take breaks and go inside to lay down on the cool tile floor to get my inner core back to normal.

2012-07-08_11-27-40_677.jpg

Last edited:
So far so good -

2012-07-10_14-06-23_80.jpg

I can live with the bubble being slightly off. We will have to recheck once it is in the house with the dry tank on it.

2012-07-08_20-37-32_435.jpg

taggin along.. I did my 180 about a year and half ago. I totally agree with the statement that building it is the most fun!

I am always on the search for useful items in this build to make best use of my space. So since this will be a complete in the stand build, what to do about the RO top off container. I know the PETCO is currently having their $1 per gallon sale, but the largest glass tank they had was 55 and it is 48 inches long! I found this solution for $100. Yea a little pricey but totally worth the dimensions. 29x29x29 Holding 65 gallons and came with a pretty good anti evaporation top which I may re trace over with a nice one piece acrylic. Right now I have filled it up to the top with 2 gallons of white vinager circulating. I figure I will let it cycle a few days with the vinager before really cleaning it well with a razor blade.

2012-07-19_21-17-01_997.jpg

Curious to know a bit of feed back from members with experience with Vortech Pumps. I plan on only really having two pumps total to start with, one on each side. I plan on 100% SPS. I will not have a deep sand bed and I will be using 2 inch CaribSea Seaflor Special Grade Reef Sand. So the sand will be a bit heavier and not blow around as easy. My question is, should I go with the MP 40's or MP 60's. Yes I know that sometimes it is fun to think or say you have to big mocho model pumps, but if I can max out the MP40's and only use 50 - 60% of the MP 60's what is the point of spending the extra money on the MP 60's in this specific application. I read on other threads with the 300 DD that the owner/builder went with the MP 60's and they only have them at 50% power. All feed back is welcome and appreciated. Thank you -

Yea I heard this to be true. I think I will go with the MP 60's unless I receive some consistent advice as to think otherwise. I am a pretty strong believer that equipment will last longer if you don't over extend it's intended parameters. Maybe I will receive twice as amount of life out of a 50% power consumption MP 60.

Yea, it seems to me that Vortechs wear out if you keep them at 100% power and they are also much more noisy. I'd go with the 60's.

Thank you BVERT38 for your input.

Next question, I am looking at either the SRO 5000 EXT or the SRO 6000 EXT.

The SRO 5000 mentions as being rated up to 500 gallons and the SRO is rated to 550 gallons. I am the type that believes in purchasing something only once and enjoying it. With the amount of money I am going to "invest" in this hobby. I might as well go with the SRO 6000 EXT just to keep the water as pure as possible. Water change of about 40 gallons once a month. I am relying heavily on the premium equipment to keep this build as maintenance free as possible.

However, if someone knows if there is any disadvantage of going with the extra 50 gallons of skimming value for the additional $120 please share your thoughts.

This will be a 95% mostly dominated SPS system with a few high end fish. I would think maybe 30 at the very most. Majority rare wrasse and only a few Tangs. However more specially fish no longer than 6 inches at full maturity.

The difference in equipment is only a few inches. I am leaning toward the SRO 6000 XP with the self cleaning head just to feel that I didn't short myself years from now.

I am not going to go crazy and purchase the Bubble King's even though they are awesome.

In my eyes what will you gain for having the larger one? Sounds like you will not have a LARGE bioload so might be worth to spend that extra 120 else where. If you were going to do a heavy bioload I would say go bigger but if you plan on having a normal or low load go with the 5000. Just my .02

Not sure on the larger Skimmers but the general rule I always heard was go 1 size up on skimmer. Since your tank is only 300G I would think that even the SRO 5000 may even be larger than needed. Definitely don't spend the extra money.

Last edited:
Yea I am going to have to agree with you - in my opinion, the bigger they are the more effective they will be. I am glad that RC is available to ask for other hobbyists for their opinions. I am going to see who else comments before I pull the trigger.

Hopefully the RC preferred vendors will pony up some deep holiday promotional discounts for this up and coming Labor Day.

However due to me going all out, I don't know if it would be worth jumping on the Labor Day holiday sales or hold my chips for the big Cyber Monday Sales after thanks giving. Which ever time I decide to make my online order, I am probably going to be pretty excited to see that Fed Ex or UPS truck coming down the street! :fun4:

To start a few more areas of inquiry - I am going to go with dry rock on this build. I purchase about 180 lbs for my 120 with Marco Rocks. Marco Rocks were VERY high quality, porous and very clean. However the batch I received were pretty unison. Not much I could do with a bunch of softball and semi-football designed pieces. Does anyone have any suggestions where I can order online some really characteristic giant pieces that would be easier to aquascape with? I am looking to order about 200 LBS worth and scavenge the remaining 180lbs of Marco from my 120.

The BRS Pukani video shows the piece he had was pretty cool to work with. Maybe I will just call BRS when I make the order and specifically ask for big crazy pieces be shipped.

I have heard good things about dry rock but Marine Warehouse sells Hatian live rock for $4/lb. At around $3/lb plus shipping for dry rock I personally woud go and get the live rock and be able to pick and choose what I want.

I really miss the old days when you could get great fiji Live rock transhipped. was about $2.50lb and was great rock.

Wow $2.50lb sounds like a really good find. Thats the thing about rock - you pretty much have to pick it out yourself to feel REALLY happy! I travel quite a bit for work, so I will probably end up checking out a bunch of stores in FL and collect a few pieces as I go along. I hear Miami has a pretty good area of stores. I bet some good deals down in that area since importing is probably very convenient.

I know that FAOIS can get dry base rock at a good price. Also they do have live rock at a decent price also. I like the fact you can pick out the rock you want and start planning in your head instead of taking a chance at what you are getting.

Thank you for the heads up BMULLIKIN1. So a heads up for all those following my thread. Exciting news on saving money. I was messing around in my junk e-mail and pet solutions has a 10% off everything!! Including VORTECH!! Unfortunately I couldn't get the MP60's due to the vendor not supplying that particular model, but I able to order two battery backups. Each on $15 sale plus the 10%!! Vortech in my opinion are the best - very awesome to find them on sale #1 and #2 get the additional discount with the code I used which was "10off". Good Luck!! I also spoke to customer service and the economy free shipping is actually Fed Ex Ground so don't worry, you will probably receive them in 3 business days!!

regarding the rock, i would give richard from tampabaysaltwater.com a call and talk to him. his base rock is $2.50 a pound,(up from $1.75 a year ago when i got mine) and he will get whatever size rocks you want. plus he is located in tampa and may even let you come pick out the rocks you want. he is a good guy and you will get good porous base rock. and he even gave me about 15lbs extra

Back