BobbyV's Marineland 300DD Starphire Project

Not sure which one it is but one of them has/had there dry rock facility in the upper keys (largo area I think) and they will let you hand pick what you want. At least they use to, give them a shout.
Regards,
Doug

This evening I put my on-line order in to confirm purchase of a Reeflo Super Gold Dart External pump new which I was able to find a great deal on supporting a $76.90 off of retail. (19% savings)

In this hobby, we all spend a tremendous amount of money. I find it equally as in important not only to share our wisdom of successful reef keeping but also our ability to save on premium equipment.

Once my 300DD is fully complete up and running, I am having thoughts as to what I should do with my Oceanic 120 Starphire Tech Tank.

I was thinking of making it a really nice frag tank as an entirely seperate project with 3 or 4 layers of display shelving.

Or maybe, I would sell it. It is in my opinion, the highest quality 120 tank available.

Center over flow - euro bracing design - the works.

Please check out the pictures below. The custom furniture quality stand would go with it of course.

Just for you to keep in mind as a possible opportunity save up a budget for, just in case when and if I am ready to part with it.

I also have a custom 65 gallon refugium sump for it with baffles. Which measures out 46 x 18

I am pretty particular about over engineering stands, so it has been constructed with 4x6's and the side doors have pressure pop locks.

Demensions are as follows for the tank: 48 x 24.5 x 25t

For the Stand: 53 x 31 x 40t

For the visitors that have come to my home, I have been given random offers of $1,100 for the entire set up. So I am going to stay firm with that price, if I decide to let it go.

08.jpg

03-1.jpg

04-1.jpg

05-1.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

01fts.jpg

user254262_pic43887_1338997934.jpg

user254262_pic43888_1338997934.jpg

user254262_pic43889_1338998054.jpg

Last edited:
Making some more progress - I was able to lug in this massive stand into my house over the weekend. I also have some GREAT news - the tank is delivered today!!!!! Please lord, no scratches or cracks!!

In addition, I was able to receive a fantastic deal on a perfect working order Current USA 1/3 HP Chiller compliments of Mr. Adam (Bradam).

Check out the positioning in the house and as soon as the tank comes in, I will take pictures. The delivery service is only dropping it off, I will need to hire 6 people to lift it on top of the stand.

2012-07-24_08-14-58_873.jpg

2012-07-24_08-22-01_887.jpg

2012-07-24_08-23-07_556.jpg

2012-07-24_08-24-01_812.jpg

2012-07-24_08-51-04_617.jpg

Tank was delivered today - I find it interesting that the sides of the tank are 100% unprotected!! But by all means they put a huge protective piece of ply wood on top. Silly!

2012-07-24_13-22-16_600.jpg

2012-07-24_13-28-09_125.jpg

2012-07-24_13-28-19_304.jpg

To my surprise no scratches! Guess I got lucky!! :dance:

Now I just have to find the time to hire a crew to bring it into the house.

If anyone knows anyone looking for a few extra bucks please let me know.

Thank you for following along!

my guess is the plywood on top was to the packing straps put equal pressure on the entire frame instead of on 4 small spots.

Good luck on getting it inside. I am moving my new 265 this weekend and help has been spotty. I finally called a mover to get it moved inside and get the old 125 out.

I called a mover as well and it was money well spent. No worries about people getting hurt and no prob if they drop it.

I know the cheapest movers in Tampa - I can "rent" 4 men for $70 bucks! I agree money well spent. I think the hardest part is getting the tank on the stand - after that, everything else are weekend projects that are super enjoyable!

I don't have the luxury of taking my time unfortunately. My 125 is fully stocked and has to be torn down and new tank up in a weekend (new tank has to go in same location as current tank). I did get enough people offer to help with the setup and plumbing and aquascaping though so looking forward to a long weekend. :hmm4:

I wish you the best of luck - part of me taking my time is looking for super good deals on equipment. Labor Day better be good - I already have my grocery list prepared just waiting on those promotional coupon codes!

I got my great deal. 265 tank stand all equipment and livestock for $2k.

Think we have a pretty good plan though. Picking up the Livestock Thursday, bringing the tank back Friday and then tearing the 125 down friday night. Then Saturday set up the 265. Will try and post some build pics as we go. Aquarium Quest is lending me a 300gal tub to hold my rock and the livestock during the teardown/setup phase.

Several club members have volunteered to help with the setup and plumbing so hopefully all will go well. Keeping fingers crossed.

It so much fun setting up large tanks. Lots of work but so much fun. I think i may need a larger tank. Enjoy the build.

So my moving company flaked out on me . . . Back to calling more companies off Craigslist.

This picture is actually on the current 120 set up. It is the seperate refugium area of the sump. I just put some sand a huge block of bio media from BRS.

Do you like the bio media block over pellets?
What are the advantages/drawbacks?
How long have you used the bio media?

Bio media and pellets ate two seperate technologies. Bio Media is simply a way more expensive and more effective solution over rock rubble. Surface area on and in this Bio media block is literally like having 100 pounds of rock rubble. Bio media only harbors bacteria. Bio pellets produce good bacteria but at such a high rate it eventually reduces your nitrate and phosphate levels due to the produced bacteria consuming additional nutrients in your tank. If you have a limited amount of rock in your display and a little sump which prevents you to dump rock rubble, invest in bio media as a bio booster. View how I ave the bio edia elevated on egg crate so water can flow on all side preventing any dead spots ontop of the sand. Bio media isn't needed to have a successful reef tank, it is only needed if you are super particular and have nothing else to do with a $100. Best way to use bio media in my opinion is to put the product right under your drain pipes in the sump, that is if you don't use filter socks. Letting the product get blasted and forcing water through it would be beneficial. Bio media blocks compared to rock rubble are a very clean solution to preventing excess distridus build up which could be easily formed in a less effective/efficient method of rock rubble.

Last edited:
Back