Looking for a Oceanic 120 Tech Tank Starphire Front

BobbyV

Established since 2008
Toying with the idea of getting back in the hobby . . . I have had 2 separate 120 Tech Tanks with a Starphire front. So I know they are floating around in the community.

If you have one you want to part with send me a PM.

I know these tanks are at least 10 years old now.

I realize they will more than likely be scratched to hell so finding a decent one will be tough.

This hobby is VERY therapeutic for me so thinking of getting back in on the cheap and buying everything used.

Not looking to show off with the most Premier setup. I just want to get a budget build going to satisfy my interests. Maybe I can be the guy who comes up with a skimmer made out of 2 Liter plastic soda bottle and an air stone. I think I had seen one in the past.

Hit me up with you have this specific tank. Or even maybe the 90 gallon.

I was going to wait till ThanksGiving where SCA has their incredible deal on their 150 with shipping included but if a Tech Tank pops up from now till then cheap. Maybe go with a nostalgic Tech Tank? They were built well.

I sold my 300DD Starphire for like $300 if you back out the skimmer in the deal. Would not say I regret not maintaining a 300DD but $300 I believe to anyone, that was a good price for them. So maybe should have kept it?

I see the Facebook threads but to be honest, I prefer to stick to Reef Central. OG Style! Easier to keep track of the posts. I find Facebook, the posts jump around out of order too much. Tough to keep track of a conversation.

Hope everyone is well. Take care!

BobbyV

Geez this hobby is expensive. Sold off all my stuff for 20 to 15 cents on the dollar. I literally have nothing. If I don't find a good deal on a tank I guess SCA 150 will be the way to go. Hope they have another blow out sale. Great tanks!

I have been delaying ordering a sca 150 hoping one comes up for sale locally and so far no luck.....If one comes up we are off to the races...

I have been looking/waiting for the exact same tank since I moved to the area back in 2015...

BobbyV nice to see you are looking to get back in. As you can see, very few of us still left here, but I hope you find the tank you are looking for. If I can help with DIY LED lights, please let me know. I really enjoy making those and I still have a few heatsinks left that we could use to build you a light for that tank.

Hi guys thanks for the posts . . . funny to see that the ones posting on this thread are the OG's.

Thinking about sticking to my original thoughts and finding a great condition 120. Classic 48 x 24 x 27/30 dimensions.

I have a total space of 6.5 feet space to place it.

So I will use the remaining 2.5 feet and find a nice 24 inch by 24 inch frag tank.

SCA might be what I go with. There are some incredible established tank builders but for the money SCA truly is tough to beat. I owned that 50 cube and it was way nicer than I would have thought it would have been for the money.

The only real argument is American Glass vs. Chinese Glass. But really? No sand and you will be ok either way.

We will see how it goes. I appreciate all the established community members stopping by and saying hello however.

maybe you could find that killer stand you sold me, for it as well, would really be like old times, I just got back in w an im nuvo 40, never tried all in ones, so far I like it, much simpler

I wonder if a few of us were interested in SCA tanks if they would do a group buy with them. Have them all delivered to one central house/location and we take our tanks home.

I am willing to bet that they would. I don't believe the shipping locations is a big deal.

I can email Steve and ask for their best deal. I would go for an SCA 150 for $500.

let me know Im in for a 150 also... If he says we need x amounts of tanks, we can always see if anyone on the facebook page is interested also.....

Bad news and good news.

Bad news is the SCA aquariums are incredibly popular. Bad for us looking to haggle.

SCA will be increasing prices soon due to high demand. They have kept pricing the same for 5 years.

The SCA 120's are sold out and Steve will not budge on price. I do not blame him.

The SCA 150 he only has a few left and they sell for $1,000 shipped.

Good news:

Steve said if I can put in an order for 2 units he price them at $879 a piece shipped. They will include all plumbing and the over flow cover.

Tanks must be shipped to my house.

So in other words he will price the 150 slightly less than the 120.

Let me know if anyone would like to pair up with me. I would simply place your tank with original packing/padding in my garage.

The delivery truck guy comes. I tell him were to set it down on the crate in my garage and it will sit there until you come pick it up from me.

Think about it and let me know. Just need one more person to save 12.1% from what everyone else would pay. Pretty good deal if you ask me.

I have not even really thought of setting up a tank right now but I think I am going to buy one just to store. Future self will thank me. Plus I know I can always sell it for original price if I keep it dry if I change my mind in a year or so especially when their prices go up. So safe choice in my mind.

Last edited:
Going to put more thought into this opportunity. Not sure if I want to jump back into this hobby so soon. Sort of enjoy not having to do water changes on my free time.

150 might be a little more than what I willing to deal with right now. Well regardless I hope my efforts and research helps someone out.

If I ever make up my mind I will be sure to create another build thread.

Thought I saw a oceanic tank on Facebook last week. I’ll check. I was lucky enough to grab one in Orlando for pretty cheap and love it. But those 150g have been my dream tank for quite awhile.

BobbyV
Long time no talk. I was the one who purchased your old tech 120 few years back. Your old tank now is with aquarium depot being used as a acro grow out tank on their facilities. I'm also interested on the sca 150 as group buy but my biggest concern is finding a nice furniture grade stand so the wife would be happy. Keep us posted on any special deal with SCA.

Rgds,

Willie

Well friends . . . splurged and found something really nice.

Found a good deal on my new dream tank. Not too large and not too small. Manageable.

I figured if I was going to commit to this hobby for another 10 plus years, I might as well buy something I would really enjoy. Scratch free was also a contributing factor to me.

Details to be on a future build thread. Build thread will not be until sometime. Current plans is to store the tank in the corner of the garage and focus on building a nice stand.

Thank you for all those who chose to contribute and comment. I very much appreciate the OG's that stick around. I almost completely "peaced out" - "But whatever I do, they always drag me back in!"

Willie - good to hear that 120 Tech Tank is still in service.

Back in the day 10 years ago when they started becoming available they were the best built tanks in my opinion. (for that time) You never hear about one of them failing.

Back