BobbyV's New 50 Gallon SCA Starphire Cube Build

BobbyV

Established since 2008
So it was about a week maybe two after I sold my 300DD before I decided to put in my order in with SCAquariums. :)

I read excellent reviews on the build quality of these tanks for what you spend.

Equally the customer service from "Steve" has been excellent.

Located in California, they have a shipping service to bring the tank, stand sump right to your front door. Great communication the entire time with a supplied online tracking number to freely monitor your shipment 24/7 as you wish.

So cheers to them for providing such an affordable convenient service. :beer:

I wanted something manageable and easy to keep up with.

Something small enough so that no matter what I bought there were limits to what I could actually spend on equipment and on going consumable materials.

So I decided on a 24 x 24 x 20 Starphire Cube.

Top of the tank is a supplied over flow cover.

My RO tank fit perfectly hidden behind the tank.

20 Gallon Tank with Glass Lid.

Should get at least a month maybe two from this RO supply before refilling.

This tank is meant to be easy to keep so with that said, I think I am going to only do water changes as I fill the 20 Gallon RO Supply.

Chose to go entire SCH 80 with the plumbing.

Complete overkill but if I am going to build the tank I imagined to keep for an unplanned length of time. Might as well make it as nice as I can. I am using a Herbie drain method and you can literately not hear anything.

So Herbie if you are still our there, thank you for inventing this drain method. You sir are awesome! :thumbsup:

Also note, I used soft silicone tubing for my return to prevent any sort of potential vibrations. Both the Glass sump and tank are on about 1/2 inch of neoprene.

My return is a Tunze USA 1073.020.

My skimmer was out for large debate. Many choices to choose, however I have heard many good things of the coveted "I-TECH". I was at the right place at the right time and picked up an original owner unit that was in acceptable condition. I - TECH 100

However since the tank is still cycling I have yet to turn it out. So fingers crossed. :hmm2:

Please excuse the cords. I am still setting up the equipment as you can see.

I installed some 2 x 2 Raceway for cable management. Not cheap stuff to my surprise. Best price I could find for 2 x 2 for 5.6 feet was $46 delivered to the house.

Picked up a gallon of MarinePure pieces in a mesh bag to help control nitrates and overall health of the system in general.

All I can say is good for Ecotech and Neptune.

They both have managed to stay in the game for over a decade and still taking my money!

what is that material in the filter bag in the return section? I'm looking for some media to help reduce nitrate. I have an SCA 50 as well.

I had the same tank before my current Innovative Marine fusion 40 and I was very happy with it. Yours I’m sure will be nice.

I had the same tank before my current Innovative Marine fusion 40 and I was very happy with it. Yours I'm sure will be nice.

I almost bought one of those. Good choice!

However I wanted just a little bit more with the opportunity to have a sump to mess around with and add a larger skimmer.

There were 5 to 1 odds in Vegas that BobbyV would be back in! Glad to see you are still at it bro! We all have our hobbies expensive or not. Since your wife liked your fish so much, it seemed strange to see your old tank go down so this is a pleasant sight. Glad to see you back at it. Really nice setup as usual!

There were 5 to 1 odds in Vegas that BobbyV would be back in! Glad to see you are still at it bro! We all have our hobbies expensive or not. Since your wife liked your fish so much, it seemed strange to see your old tank go down so this is a pleasant sight. Glad to see you back at it. Really nice setup as usual!

Thank you for the post. Having such a large tank for such a long time, I just grew tired of it. EVERYTHING about it was expensive.

As in regards to this tank, I am going to try and keep great care of it. Keep it scratch and pest free.

Nice to have a fresh start with a new tank and years of experience behind me.

Just want to stay involved in the hobby and not feel overwhelmed.

Nice Bobby. I have their 150 and 50 as well.

Just set up the 50 about 2 months ago, sick of the larger tank as well. Get you an Octo Lid for the 50, very clean looking.

Well - Better to have a 2nd MP10 to run as a slave on ANT-SYNC than not to have.

41167068265_06ceea9901_c.jpg

Installed XR15w PRO Gen 4. Looks great in my opinion. Re-arranged some rock work that I feel will maximize coral placement.

41347392594_6c61bd8eab_c.jpg

Cut some black acrylic to match the RMS mounting arm. I wanted to create a good mounting pad for the Neptune Apex AFS Auto Feeder.

27197011427_81bd9e143d_c.jpg

28194351888_05395c5532_c.jpg

41347392594_6c61bd8eab_c.jpg

40259574460_e0173b0d96_c.jpg

41347391834_6691dcae0a_c.jpg

28194351418_6564945e32_c.jpg

27197010477_96a1a6655e_c.jpg

I put my feeder next to return pump in sump....Just a ideal for you.

Attachments

• 20180203_194719.jpg
    20180203_194719.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 0
So this is what cramming every piece of technology I ever wanted for an overkill 50 Gallon Cube build would look like.

I have left room for a WXM. However still on the fence if I really want it or not. Still on the look out for a good price on a used one.

Notice I added two BRS Dosing Pumps for KH and CA. The APEX display I picked up locally.

Neptune not selling this with the $800 kit irritated me. Now I feel as if the controller is complete.

By the way, the SCA new OAK stands are SOLID!

40259576590_937a54bd8b_c.jpg

41167067675_bdce6d9e13_c.jpg

41167067295_c156f2f13a_c.jpg

If you find yourself with an opportunity to buy an ITECH 100 Skimmer. Make sure to buy it. They are made very well and run on a TUNZE 9410.040.

40259575480_5ca2efbbd8_c.jpg

I put my feeder next to return pump in sump....Just a ideal for you.

Thank you for the suggestion.

I had thoughts on putting the feeder on the back rim of the tank. But I truly like the idea of it up high away from the moisture.

I am trying to get my Anthias to eat pellets. I use the Spectrum pellets with no luck as of yet.

However the pellets supplied with the feeder have a strong odor to them and the Anthias ate a couple which was promising.

To some the AFS looks awkward but when we have visitors, they always got a kick out of pressing a button to "feed the fish".

So once again it becomes a center of discussion when people see the tank and they can still press a button to enjoy a favorite classic past time.

Which is another reason I wanted the APEX Display.

Mr. Rogers had it right - feeding fish is mesmerizing to some and good fun!

Back