BonesCJ 90 macro setup

I can definitely say the light grow's Macro's, however now that I have cranked it up in terms of intensity I am getting better growth from my greens, reds tend to be able to adjust to a greater range of light. Its funny but that tends to apply to FW plants as well, the brighter green the plant the more intense the light needs to be. Its crazy how well my shaving brush plants are doing, I just found one growing out of LR! not sure if it wormed its way up through the LR from the sand underneath or what.

Sorry to hear about the gramma. The tank looks good though. Interesting about the yellow slimy stuff. I'm curious what it is too.

Update: Lost the GBTA, he disappeared into the rockwork for about a week and a half and I found him laying on the sand last night, looks like it may have been a foot injury. Other than that tank is going nicely, the Caulerpa's have shown a dramatic improvement since upping the light intensity and all the little bits and pieces have really started to flourish. The tree like Gracilaria is still growing and what I believe is Hayi has shown improvement as well.

I wonder what you guys think of my current fish load.
1 O. Clown
1 Firefish
1 molly
1 starry blenny
1 blue yellowtail damsel
1 blue green chromis
1 pajama cardinal

in a really open 90 macro setup this just feels really..... EMPTY!
I miss seeing lots of fish swimming around, I do plan to up the mollies to at least 6, they do good work keeping everything clean.

Am I off the mark? Does this feel like a really light load of fish?

Planted tanks like lots of fish. Go nuts!

I see several fish on your list that could be in schools: fire fish, blue green chromis and the pajama cardinal. You could also add another clown and get some bow chicka bow wow action…

Yeah the cardinals and chromis are high on the Add to List, not sure on the clowns, I'm trying to keep the tank really low key and frisky clowns can get mean as well.

I agree on the clowns. I forget who posted it, but they said they can't put their hand in the tank without getting bitten! I like low key too. I want to RELAX when I look at my tank, not worry about aggression. That yellow tail damsel may cause trouble too.

In general, more fish means less dosing and less work to keep your plants happy.

Update: Lost the GBTA, he disappeared into the rockwork for about a week and a half and I found him laying on the sand last night, looks like it may have been a foot injury. Other than that tank is going nicely, the Caulerpa's have shown a dramatic improvement since upping the light intensity and all the little bits and pieces have really started to flourish. The tree like Gracilaria is still growing and what I believe is Hayi has shown improvement as well.

I wonder what you guys think of my current fish load.
1 O. Clown
1 Firefish
1 molly
1 starry blenny
1 blue yellowtail damsel
1 blue green chromis
1 pajama cardinal

in a really open 90 macro setup this just feels really..... EMPTY!
I miss seeing lots of fish swimming around, I do plan to up the mollies to at least 6, they do good work keeping everything clean.

Am I off the mark? Does this feel like a really light load of fish?
Sorry about the GBTA. If interested in keeping anemone try the rock flowers and from what I've been reading they can naturally be found with seagrass. I have 7 and they are really cool. For a macro tank I don't think you have a high bioload and could use some more fish.

I like to keep fish in pairs. Be careful with more chromis as I have heard often that you end up with just 1.

Firefish do better in pairs or schools of 7 or more.

Pj cardinals do well in groups.

You may have to do something with damsel as they can be aggressive.

If you want something different that will be good for macros and compatible with your fish try a white ribbon eel(Pseudechidna brummeri.) This is not a color variant of the difficult black and blue ribbon eel(Rhinomuraena quaesita). The white ribbon eel is hardy, easy to train on frozen, and has small mouth so won't eat your fish. They also are good as a pair. Only downside is food needs to be small chunks and I'm not sure how they are with shrimp.

HTH Jason

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

I can definitely say the light grow's Macro's, however now that I have cranked it up in terms of intensity I am getting better growth from my greens, reds tend to be able to adjust to a greater range of light. Its funny but that tends to apply to FW plants as well, the brighter green the plant the more intense the light needs to be. Its crazy how well my shaving brush plants are doing, I just found one growing out of LR! not sure if it wormed its way up through the LR from the sand underneath or what.
Thanks for the info. Maybe I will pull mine back out and try again. I never ran the whites above 50% and the blues above 75%. Maybe I need to push the whites up closer to 100%.

Thanks guys! All good info, one fish I am tossing around would be a bristletail filefish, from what I read they naturally live in seagrass and algae flats so this would be a little slice of home. I am just concerned that he would eat my macro's

Picked up 5 black and dalmatian mollies last night, I really like their look in the tank and do a great job picking at the stuff growing on the macro's. This way my lone black molly will not be so lonely.

Hey Chris K. If you are referring to the aiptasia-eating file fish, they are safe with macros. I loved the one I had!

Mollies are great too. Do you have males and females? If so, you're going to have a lot more soon. The babies are great feeder fish for any carnivore big enough to eat them.

Yep, that is the file fish I am referring to, great to hear! Yeah I made sure and get a mix of M and F's

Finally the tank looks full of fish! I pulled the trigger on the file fish about a week and half ago and he has settled in nicely. Real fun fish to have in the system, he's always hunting for food and has a strong response when I feed, actually took food right out from in front of my Starry blennys face! (he's the tanks "Boss"). Its funny when you can actually see the WTH! expression on a fishes face. The new molly's have settled in as well and the 2 chromis are getting along nicely.

My C. prolifora is finally starting to take off, I was just running my tank too lean and too dim, I've kept the nitrates at 10 PPM or so with heavy feeding and cranked the lights almost up to max, this has made for more hair algae but that's done nothing but make my starry blenny and Mollies happy as they have more to graze on.

That's awesome, Chris! It is kind of an adjustment, keeping nutrients high, after so many years of keeping them low, huh?

It sounds like you've got a great fish community now! Pics?

Finally the tank looks full of fish! I pulled the trigger on the file fish about a week and half ago and he has settled in nicely. Real fun fish to have in the system, he's always hunting for food and has a strong response when I feed, actually took food right out from in front of my Starry blennys face! (he's the tanks "Boss"). Its funny when you can actually see the WTH! expression on a fishes face. The new molly's have settled in as well and the 2 chromis are getting along nicely.

My C. prolifora is finally starting to take off, I was just running my tank too lean and too dim, I've kept the nitrates at 10 PPM or so with heavy feeding and cranked the lights almost up to max, this has made for more hair algae but that's done nothing but make my starry blenny and Mollies happy as they have more to graze on.

That's Great! You will be happy with the filefish. I like they way they orient themselves head down sometimes in between the blades of C. prolifora. Did you buy the mollies already adjusted to seawater or did you have to acclimate yourself?

I honestly just picked them up at my local Petsmart, I have a water change in the works so hopefully pics after that.

Ok, Update time

Tank is going nicely, as long as I continue to feed heavily and run full lights all my macro's have been growing well, the caulerpa is finally spreading and the graciliaria needs regular pruning. The filefish and the new mollies have all settled in nicely and the tank finally looks full!

Full Tank shot
picture.php

The new filefish -- Eating well and fitting in nicely
picture.php

Clippings from my Graciliaria -- FTS above was taken AFTER i pruned it
picture.php

Also that yellow "Scunge" that was growing everywhere has diminished to almost nothing, not sure it it doesn't like the brighter lights or its getting out competed, just glad to see it gone.

Back