Bought my first two clowns - one died in QT

That clown is severely emaciated, which wouldn't happen overnight, but over the course of weeks. See its concave belly section? Avoid fish with bellies like that, unless you're an experienced fish-whisperer that can treat and forcefeed the sickest fish. Every fish I've bought with a sunken belly like that has died in about a week.

How does your other fish look? Noticed any poop?

That clown is severely emaciated, which wouldn't happen overnight, but over the course of weeks. See its concave belly section? Avoid fish with bellies like that, unless you're an experienced fish-whisperer that can treat and forcefeed the sickest fish. Every fish I've bought with a sunken belly like that has died in about a week.

How does your other fish look? Noticed any poop?

Ver interesting. I did some reading it sounds like meds may have helped, but maybe not since it was obviously late stage. This lead me back to the question - should i medicate right from day 1 with fish?

Here is a pic of fish b. Belly is maybe a little sunk in? He does eat some bites of brine when dropped in. Im worried if the parasite is live that he may be infected just by being in the same tanks?

There is not much poop in the tank. Some may have been vac'd out last night trying to lower the water level in the tank.

Usually you give them a couple weeks to settle in, eat well, and fatten up, but if you're already seeing signs of illness, treat it. I would do a prazi treatment to start, but maybe someone with more experience will chime in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok i purchased some paprizo and some melafix (read that open wounds could also be am issue with the parasite). Plan to start treatment tonight. Is it ok to medicate both at the same time? The melafix is supposed to be 'all natural'.

Thanks again for the help

Hmmmmmm....
Interesting thought about administering the Prazipro. It COULD very well be flukes...Is the fish that is alive scratching up against that PVC elbow or exhibiting any other strange behavior? Do you see any stringy poop?
I would do just the Prazipro.

Hmmmmmm....
Interesting thought about administering the Prazipro. It COULD very well be flukes...Is the fish that is alive scratching up against that PVC elbow or exhibiting any other strange behavior? Do you see any stringy poop?
I would do just the Prazipro.

No scratching or abnormal behavior. Not much poo at all though. Will keep an eye out for stringy poo the next couple of days.

Bought my first two clowns - one died in QT

I would hold off on the melafix. I used to use it in freshwater, but I have only heard of bad interactions with saltwater.

For your current clown just make sure he eats. Soak the food in garlic extract and in vitamins.
Also I suggest you buy PE mysis. (really any would work but PE mysis has more nutritional value, fats and nutrients, and the shrimp are bigger).
Mix it in with some brine as well to entice the fish to eat. Once he is eating WELL, thats 90% of the battle.

For your current clown just make sure he eats. Soak the food in garlic extract and in vitamins.

Yep. That remaining clown looks really good in the picture. Although it might not be a bad idea to dose with Prazi Pro (following directions exactly, of course) just as a precaution. It's safe and gentle enough on the vast majority of fish). Or, at the very least, have a stash of the Prazi on stand by so it can be used right away if the fish starts acting funny.

Most of the time, in the case of flukes, fish act strangely BEFORE the visible, tell-tale symptoms appear (cloudy eyes, greyish white blotchy - NOT SALT of SUGAR like grainy- spots close to the gills, etc). This is when the fish is most easily treatable, and the flukes most easily destroyed.

Just a update. Ended up purchasing another chocolate clown from another store (spent 15 minutes looking evaluating which fish looked the healthiest). Dosed the tank with both fish with prazi. All signs so far are good - active and eating (brine dipped in zoes vitamins). They are trying to eat the pellets but not all the way commited yet.

Well one final update. Habe two clowns in the qt tank now for a week and bkth are doing EXTREMELY well. Seem to be getting along well and eating well (bought them 4 or 5 different choices for variety).

To those that find this thread searching about fish dieing. Take the advice here and really study the fish at the store. Look for signs of stress or disease. Also i will now be medicating starting on day 2 in the qt tank for all fish - in the end its cheaper than habing livestock pass away in a day and half.

Thanks again for all the help/replies, i hope this helps someone in the future.

That's great news! Be sure to complete the treatment as it suggests on the prazi instructions and keep them under observation for a couple weeks. Losing fish is the worst (I've lost a lot) but as long as you learn something in the process and keep with it, it's not in complete vain.

Back