braden's Caribbean seagrass/mangrove aquarium

For my tank, I've been extremely lucky to collect a bunch of corals that we have here in the US which you can only obtain on aquacultured rock. I do have to say it took a bit of patience and lots of live rock orders, with a good bit of very excellent live rock without any coral hitchhikers being given away. I wouldn't say it was exactly "free" in that sense but I know what you meant :D

Ah... I didn't realize your tank was the product of quite that level of persistence; I thought perhaps you'd gotten quite fortunate with an order or two.

I admire your persistence, though. It's great to be able to obtain those corals at all; and even better that you're having such success with them.

I think your seagrass tank is an awesome project and is looking great. I would love to someday have the space to do something similar, especially if I can ever source stargrass. Prior to my return to reefing, my interest was freshwater planted tanks and South American cichlids, so I would love to do a saltwater planted tank someday.

Thanks!

Many, many years ago, prior to my first foray into reef tanks, I kept cichlids as well. And while the tank had a plant or two, calling it a "planted" tank would have been a bit of a stretch.

I recently purchased some seagrasses for my Florida-themed seahorse nano, so hopefully I'll be able to grow them too!

I recently purchased some seagrasses for my Florida-themed seahorse nano, so hopefully I'll be able to grow them too!

It needs abundant light, a deep sand bed, and, from what I'm reading lately, iron. I just started with an iron supplement; so I'll see how that goes.

The depth of the sand bed may be the biggest challenge in a nano-sized tank.

Here are some pics of the tank shortly after planting the most recent lot of turtle grass. Some leaf die-off is already in progress, as you can see from the yellowing leaves.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1704-800.JPG
    IMG_1704-800.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1705-800.JPG
    IMG_1705-800.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1706-800.JPG
    IMG_1706-800.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 0
Braden, I hope I didn't come across as being negative towards your tank. That was not my intent at all. I think it looks very nice and is an amazing set up.

Braden, I hope I didn't come across as being negative towards your tank. That was not my intent at all. I think it looks very nice and is an amazing set up.

Thanks; and, no, I was not offended.

(BTW, your corner tank is the one I had initially planned for this endeavor; but Aqueon discontinued them. Happy with the cube, though. I was able to put it in the middle of the room with good visibility for observation from three sides.)

Thanks; and, no, I was not offended.

Glad to hear you weren't offended.

(BTW, your corner tank is the one I had initially planned for this endeavor; but Aqueon discontinued them. Happy with the cube, though. I was able to put it in the middle of the room with good visibility for observation from three sides.)

Funny, I originally planned a 90 cube, but my wife saw the corner bowfront and talked me into that tank instead.

Back