Breeding Log: Pterapogon Kaudnerni

Congrats so much on the spawning in their new tank!!! :) I know that you were worried you'd mess up the balance by moving things around.... :)

Rocking cool!

I know, it's sooooo cool. And me and Jess got to watch all but the egg transfer this time. It was education. I do feel a little dirty now though.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9046931#post9046931 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Serra
When are we getting the video of spawning?

As soon as I sell enough babies to afford a video camera, lol.
I will be getting a PC soon and if it'll handle a WebCam, then I'll set it up to record when I feel they are going to spawn. Maybe I can get lucky enough to catch the magical moment on video for everyone. I'd like a nice video log of pairing up, spawning, and release.

You should seriously consider one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...UTF8&coliid=I3FPP01ZCM8YXR&colid=YGBFY4BVH9TL

B0009EJ92C.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V58383726_.jpg

They are inexpensive ($90) and work great for simple digital videography. I have one on my wish list for sure!

Update: Quickest failure yet!

Update: Quickest failure yet!

Male swallowed his clutch yesterday sometime. Quickest he's ever done this and I'm at a loss completely this time. Everything was looking so good. I did add some corals and do a small amount of rearranging in the tank, but although this could stress him out, it's nothing compared to the stuff I'd do in my 55g when he was in there. I don't know!!! AARRRRGGGGHHHH.

So back to the drawing board!

I'm starting to think maybe the male bangaii just likes caviar in his diet. This is the 3rd consecutive egg swallowing he's done. And I know he was very well fed prior to the spawning. Diet hasn't changed any, but water quality has. Not sure how that would effect em. The new tank is also alot warmer than the 55g. May be a reason. In fact, that would make sense if he's being kept in a warmer climate, his metabolism would increase and the length of time he could go without food would shorten. May try cooling the tank down some. Hmmmmmm?

My bangaii cardinals have spawened and the babies are in the males mouth. It's been that way since January,17,2007 so i think its too early for him to realease. Anyways, I don't think that I can get any phytoplankton so does the kent phytoplankton work? What else can you feed the babies instead of Rotifers or Phytoplankton?

MR915,
You don't need rots or phyto. Newly hatched baby brine shrimp will work with bangger babies as a first food.

GL
Kevin

Thanks LotR Clown! I was wondering do those San Francisco Brine Shrimp eggs work? If so I was going to buy some later today if I stop by the LFS.

They work great - they are also a sponsor for COMAS this year, they donated some stuff for our giveaway a week ago.

Update: New Spawning...again.

Update: New Spawning...again.

Well, Last batch only lasted a few days before the male aborted them again. Now we have a new spawn, occured sometime on Groundhogs Day (Feb 2nd 07'). I've been reading more and more reports of bangaii's refusing to hold a clutch full term in anything less than a 40g tank so I'm expecting this batch to get aborted as well. I have a 42 Hex in the works right now that we decided would make a better breeding tank for the bangaii pair and then utilize their current tank (20g long) for rearing the babies. Just waiting on the cycle.

fwiw, I did get a new thermometer for the 20g and it turns out I was practically boiling the poor fish. Temp was spiking 89F. Got em cooled off now and they do seem happier. So, now we wait again and see what happens. :D

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9144828#post9144828 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mrseptember15
What else can you feed the babies instead of Rotifers or Phytoplankton?

I have been putting my newly released babies on freeze dried cyclopeeze from day one and they have responded very positive to this versus feeding newly hatched artemia nauplii. and saves alot of brine shrimp hatching time too. I hate dealing with the sea monkies on a daily basis. It took the first batch I put on cyclopeeze awhile to start eating them, but they were already hooked on BBS. After the second release, I started putting cyclopoeeze in the tank and the new babies were watching the month old guys eat up the cyclops and figured out that it was food very quickly.

Cycloeeze are also far more nutrituous as a first food over artemia nauplii.

Update: Eggs have hatched!!!

Update: Eggs have hatched!!!

The last spawning occured on Groundhogs day, so it's been about 24 days and the current clutch has hatched. We separated the breeding pair, stuck the female back in the 55g tank, and the male will follow until their 42g is ready. We plan to keep any babies in the 20g for now, seeing how if so many of our babies had not died when they did, the 2.5g would be so way over crowded. One of the juvi's in there is still tiny, but he's so much larger than the rest and dominates the whole tank. I'm sure he's male, as I've seen him "poofing" his lower jaw much like a male holding does. But for the current spawning in question, I've seen babies poking there heads out grabing at food. I did notice that the male, even though he's not eating, will jump in the middle of the "food" being added to the tank and breath deeply. I'm assuming this is to allow small zooplankton to filter through his gills and give the infants something to munch on. He has also been staying close to the urchin as well, I'm hoping this is for his release and not just a coincidence of being in a small tank. I'll keep ya'll posted! Hopefully we'll get a full batch this time!

Update: Early Birds

Update: Early Birds

Woke up this morning to see 3 babies swimming in my 20g Long, the male obviously is still holding several more, saw them peeking when I turned the lights on. I guess these 3 were just too excited to be born. I have read that bangaii's can sometimes released their babies over the course of a few days, so maybe that's what he's up to. But by there behavior, I think they snuck out while daddy was sleeping!

Yes Travis, going to work on that Kreisel real soon. Wanted to get the parents out of the 20g and into another tank first, the kreisel will be going in the 20 with the babies for now.

Update: The rest of em....

Update: The rest of em....

Well, got home yesterday from work, found another 3 babies swimming amidst the urchin spines. The male was obviously still holding more so we removed those three, got them acclimating for the 2.5g baby tank. And throughout the evening, up until about 9pm he released a few at a time. 20 in all! Not a single loss that we could verify at the time, we think we got all he had. Unfortunatly when we woke up this morning, we could only count 12 in the 2.5g so I really don't know yet if they died sometime through the night or were hiding from sight. It's not a large tank and not heavily decorated so not alot of hiding spots. We may have lost those 8 already.

So, to catch up: Male and Female breeding pair were in a 20g long. Spawned Feb 2nd. Hatched a few days ago, probably sooner, but we didn't notice until a few days ago. The male actually held a clutch full term in a tank smaller than 40g's. I was under the impression this probably wouldn't happen but Yeah!, it did. Nitrates and phosphates both runnin' high (10+ppm) but other than that, parameters have been fine. Temp does fluctuate a little high in the day and very low at night. Parents fed on frozen cubes, mainly mysis, but occasionall reef plankton and krill. And the female is starting to eat the New Life Spectrum: Thera A+ pellets as well. About time too, I'm tired of feeding the bristlworms that well. Be like giving caviar to the dog, heck no!, he gets the cheap stuff!

We took the three 4-5month olds we had remaining and moved them into the 20g long. After seeing the new babies, we realized that even the smallest of the older guys could eat one in a single bite. So all new babies were put in the 2.5g and the parents were removed back into the 55g display tank. I wish I had a camera for everyones benefit, it was quite a sight seeing all those little critters rushing for the urchin. Glad we bought that guy. Immediatly after releasing his last baby, the male went in search of food. He seemed to ignore the little ones though, I'm glad for that. And he was given a nice big fat frozen cube of mysis for all his troubles :D. Gone in two bites might I add. He was hungry!

We did attempt to feed the babies some cyclopeeze, but it was kinda hard to tell if they were eating any or not. They're really jitterly at that size and always look like there eating something. And I accidentally dropped way to much cyclopeeze in the tank, so there was so much I couldn't tell if it was "disappearing" or not. I had hoped the 4 month old juvi was going to be small enough to house with the new guys, just to teach em to eat the cyclopeeze, but we'll do it the old fashion way I guess.

We're still unsure as to the sex of 2 of the 3 juvi's but hopefully soon we can figure this one out. They are still smaller than I would want, in order to sell em but actually probably the right size for wholesalers. Given a couple weeks in transit, a couple weeks at a retailer and a month QT by the purchaser and I bet they would be perfect size juvi's.

I'll keep ya guys posted. Feel free to ask questions till your blue in the face, I tend to forget alot of information when I'm typing away. So if you want to know....ask me! :D

Back