Bristle worm???

Diodontidae

I've looked up many searches for bristle worms and fireworms, etc. and have not found a match for these worms in my tank. This picture is not the best. (It seems they do not like being out of the water!!:debi:) I have had these for several years and have wiped out several of them because they are always in my pumps and skimmer. They do have bristles and generally do not get longer than an inch, most are smaller. Could someone be so kind and identify if this is a bristle worm. They do seem to love to feast on snails which get to close to the bottom of the tank...

I will try to get a better picture if needed.
Thanks,
Neil
IMG_0923 (1).jpg

Things tend to photograph better in water, they're more cooperative when they can breathe.
Common bristleworms. Harmless. If they're eating your snails, the snails are sick. These are scavengers, basically spiny earthworms.
They can get up to 4-5" long, actually, but they can breed at a smaller size. Plus, bigger ones are more secretive.

Thanks for the reply. I've been in the hobby for a while but just couldn't find a pic that matched these guys. I know there are a ton of different species and this is probably why.
Thanks again,
Neil

Try googling "pink bristleworm" to search. The first few pics I tried were people asking for IDs, though, so it might be hard to find someone who knows what they are. I don't think it matters that much, though, since they're just one of the harmless gunk-eating varieties.

Back