Bristle Worms--How to get rid of?

k9cop1512

Premium Member
I have multiple tanks, 175 gal is largest. The 29 BIO we have has an infestation of Bristles. We hate them. They are gross and multiply too fast. The bio cube is my sea horse tank, so I'm also afraid of them stinging the horses. I've already removed all the sand and rock about 6 months ago and put new sand and rock in and 6 months later, infestation again.

How can a get rid of them. I've tried a small glass trap....Is there a larger one our there to trap these annoying pests?????

Thanks, Tim

Sell them. They're a dollar apiece from a critter vendor. If you have too many bristleworms, it may be because you have way too much wasted food. It is possible to crash a tank by killing off the bristleworms, both because of the bioload of death and the fact that nothing is now disposing of the bioload. I recommend a slow reduction in food and you will see a slow reduction of worms.

I had a huge infestation of brittle starfish & also bristle worms at one time and i also was pondering what to do but i got lucky with a natural fix to the eyesore issue. It was just introducing a Watchman goby to my sys. They sift & eat anything that crawls in the substrate. I noticed a change in just a few weeks, first loss of stars then the extreme low count of worms later. I have not changed my feeding habits but was considering it before i realized i had a predator. I also introduced a Royal Gamma at that same time also a serious predator feeder who hunts incessantly for pods & anything that crawls. Watching the goby eat a starfish was really something to see, a real battle of slithering arms fighting the goby lol...reminded me of pics i saw of whales eating giant squid.

Sell them. They're a dollar apiece from a critter vendor. If you have too many bristleworms, it may be because you have way too much wasted food. It is possible to crash a tank by killing off the bristleworms, both because of the bioload of death and the fact that nothing is now disposing of the bioload. I recommend a slow reduction in food and you will see a slow reduction of worms.

Agreed. They are doing you a favor and eating waste in your tank. Cut back on the waste and they will disappear. There population is based on how much you waste there is.

Back