Brook time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bomber

10 & Over Club
Just a heads up for you guys. It's that time of year again and we're seeing it a lot in pathology. Several transshippers and wholesalers have had to flush their systems out with formalin these past few weeks. So, be on the look out.

:wave: Jerel

Boy Jer, I got all excited by that title and was wondering were in the H_ _ _ _is there Brooky's (Brook Trout) in Florida:D

I just bought a pair of TR clowns ... both now have brooklynella. I wasn't on the lookout for it since, according to Wilkerson, brook's mostly a thing of the past for TR clowns.

Masoch said:
I just bought a pair of TR clowns ... both now have brooklynella. I wasn't on the lookout for it since, according to Wilkerson, brook's mostly a thing of the past for TR clowns.

Is brook exclusive to clowns?

Is brook exclusive to clowns?

No, not by a long shot. It is a very common diseases and is often mis-ID'ed as (CRFD) Coral Reef fish Cisease, aka Oodinium occelatum or it newers name Amlyoodinium occelatum. It is problaby responsible for more fish deaths than any other fish disease.

according to Wilkerson, brook's mostly a thing of the past for TR clowns.

Know there is a line of BS

And now I know better

:(

I also lost my royal gramma (my first SW fish) because I couldn't catch him until it was too late.

But now I have the dirt cheap hospital / QT tank: hunk of base rock, PVC tube, 5.5 gallon tank, sponge filter and air pump. One clown's looking better, and the other one ... well, his colour's improved ... but I'll see how he's doing by morning.

But I do have two questions, 'tho. How long to keep the clowns in QT before moving into the (now fishless) display tank? How long before the display tank is disease-free?

Do a 15 minute fresh water dip... I have just seen a miracle with two clowns after doing it! Here's some steps:

1. Get your R/O water ready. 1/2 gallon will do.

2. Add baking soda gradually to bring the PH up to about 8.2 (or whatever your tank is). I find that 1/4 per gallon is just right. That would be 1/8 of a cup for 1/2 a gallon.

3. Warm up the freshwater to the temperature currently in the tank.

4. Throw in an air stone.

5. Drop the fish in and wait exactly 15 minutes, gently stirring the water to keep the fish moving somewhat.

6. If the first dip doesn't work, do the same procedure 24 hours later, but with 1 drop of formulin.

This has done wonders for me. Good luck.

I was wondering, how long before you know whether you are in the clear or not for Brook? I fished my clown out of the tank and put him and my red headed goby in a hospital tank where I now see what seem to be pieces of skin floating around. That was five days ago. the clown still seems sluggish and won't eat much, though he does seem to be eating a little (since I put a couple pellets in and when I come back, they're gone).

Oh, also, I did two formalin dips, one on thursday, one yesterday.

If you use the formalin correctly it will cure brooklynella. Do a search on formaldehyde and SeaScope magazine and you will find a article about it. You can also just type in a google search using my name to find it.
Terry Bartelme

Can Corals "Catch" Brook?

Can Corals "Catch" Brook?

Hope this isn't a stupid question......

I noticed this morning that one of my clowns has Brook and was wondering if coral can be affected by this disease? I'm going to a frag swap on Saturday and don't want to pass it on to someone from one of my soft corals.

I've searched the forums for info, but can't find anything - hope this is good news.....

was wondering if coral can be affected by this disease?

No, it is a fish obligated parasite

Here is TB's article

http://216.168.47.67/cis-fishnet/seascope/99SS1601.htm

Terry

BTW, did you see the rather nasty error in Vol. 20, Issue-3-2003, on U. marinum.....Cooper Sulfate...1.6 - 2.5 ppm = many dead fish. I called them and told them about it. I wonder if that is why that issue isn't on line at Marineland

Last edited:
Whew, thank you very much! I'll take a look at this article....

Now I just have to take care of the little guy.....

Iââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢m also interested in seeing some pic's of this brooklynella I just heard of it several weeks ago? :rolleye1:

Re: Brook time

Bomber said:
Just a heads up for you guys. It's that time of year again and we're seeing it a lot in pathology. So, be on the look out.

What should we be looking for? Are there any early warning signs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back