Brookynella treatment question. Please help.

Dmoody

Artillery Drill
Can I mix rid ich + (malachite green and formalin). With pimafix and melafix until my formalin from amazon.com actually gets here? I have a allardi clown with brookynella and a ornate wrasse in with him. I did a freshwater dip with the rid ich in it for 3 minutes and transferred them both into a new qt treated with rid ich, melafix and pimafix. My previous qt had only cupramine in it. I did not put cupramine in this new qt. the first clown that showed symptoms of brook has already passed on. Any help is appreciated.

Never mix medications, and never ever use copper and formalin together. I'd say the mixing of the 3 meds killed the fish. Rid ich will work at a slightly higher dose if the bottle is fresh. Formalin does not keep long in the bottle. Make sure aeration is high in the qt.

Posted from ReefCentral.com App for Android

I just ran carbon all night to take the meds out of the tank. The wrasse is doing fine and eating this morning. I want to keep the fish from getting brook (It has already been exposed but showing no signs) and I have formailin on the way. I have two qt's (a 40 and a 10) and two 5 gallon buckets for dips. Would it be a good idea to do a formailin bath in a bucket and then transfer the fish to another qt with no meds? Im trying to think of ways to erradicate the parasite. I wont mix the meds anymore. The melafix and pimafix were soley for secondary infections.

Brooklynella

Brooklynella

Are you certain that you have a brooklynella outbreak? It kills rapidly and fish will produce coupious amonts of slime. hyposalinity is the most effective treatment in my experince with COPPERPOWER IN THE WATER 1.010 SG I do not acclimate the fish to the hypo I just abruptly place them in a qt . for 3 weeks I then restore the sg slowly up to 1.020 and the continue to increase the S.G. BACK TO DT S.G. I BROKE DOWN THE DT since brooklynella is very diffficult to irradicate and then how could one be certain anyway.
DO NOT USE FORMALIN ON FISH WITH OPEN WOUNDS ,IT WILL KILL THEM

Im 99% sure its brook. The only fish left alive is the ornate wrasse which is showing no symptoms after the RID ICH bath (waiting for formalin).

wipe out

wipe out

well it sounds like it could be if you suffered almost total wipe out . the most common symptoms are rapid losses,of almost if not all the fish and excessive slime production. are you planning to break down and reset the DT. I DID , DISCARDED MY SAND AND KEPT THE LIVE ROCK IN 1.010 FOR 3 MONTHS IN aerated pails . I reset the tank in May and the rock is repopulated with small inverts and coraline algae after adding a few piecies of new LR.I added fish back even the 2 fish that survived eventually died.:headwally:the new fish are now in the tank , and doing well. I think i introduced it by accidently spilling water into the dt while adding a new coral from a frag tank that the dealer had fish in. I NOW EXAMINE the fish dealers keep in invert tanks as some dealers think sick fish will recover in coral tanks.Do you know how you introduced it?

It is actually doing great and eating like a beast. Im still a little nervous about whether or not he may have brook. No symptoms as of yet. I am going to sterilize my 40g QT tomorrow and move him back in there eventually. I have formalin now but i dont know if I want to treat the wrasse with formalin unless he is showing symptoms. What do you think?

Unfortunately, this is the only treatment for Brooklynella that anyone knows works. The issue with Brooklynella is that by the time you see it, it is usually too late to help the fish. Having said that, you might shoot a message or call the folks over at Diver's Den, they for certain will know if wrasse can tolerate the treatment without dying. The "without dying" part is important because brooklynella has a 100% death rate without treatment (most of the time with treatment), so anything short of that is success.

I did a little research and it turns out that certain fish can host Brooklynella: Angelfishes, tangs or surgeonfishes, wrasses, jawfishes, and seahorses among others.

This, I think, means that it could live, but you wouldn't be able to place other fish in the tank because they would be infected and die as opposed to just hosting it. It usually takes a while to find information about particular species and a particular disease combination on the internet, but if I find something else I will let you know.

Last edited:
I have heard that formalin is best done in baths. I was thinking about doing a bath the first day, then waiting a day, then another bath and then transfer him to a new tank. Would this work or do I need to incorporate more formalin baths? I have two QT and two 5g buckets to work with.

I did find this on LiveAquaria which would suggest that treating wrasse with formalin shouldn't be a problem, but I would confirm with them that wrasse are not somehow treated differently:

"Disease Prevention
Fish, such as clownfish, prone to common parasitic ailments like Brooklynella hostilis, are given repeated freshwater baths that contain anti-parasite medication. Clownfish are quarantined for a minimum of four weeks at our facility before we offer them for sale. Other fish such as Angelfish, tangs, certain genus of wrasse, and several other specific species are given therapeutic saltwater baths. These baths contain praziquantel or other medications that eliminate flukes, protozoan, and parasites commonly found on wild fish.

To combat common bacterial infections such as Vibrio, therapeutic baths containing antibiotics such as kanamycin, nitrofurazone, Neomycin and other commercial antibiotics are given. Open wounds on fish are treated and healed with a special topical treatment. In addition to the baths, all quarantined fish are treated with copper sulfate and a 37% formaldehyde solution to combat Amyloodinium ocellatum and Cryptocaryon irritans.

Once they start feeding, all new fish that enter our facility, and can be successfully weaned onto prepared foods, are de-wormed, via frozen food soaked in praziquantel, metronidazole, and piperazine. After the de-worming process, we offer a variety of vitamin-enriched foods to all of the fish. These foods include frozen mysis shrimp, frozen brine shrimp, live ghost shrimp, frozen krill, silversides, roe, dried seaweed, cockle, and even pellet foods. Some species of Anglerfish, Frogfish, Leaffish, Scoprion Fish, and certain species of wild harvested seahorses that require live foods, such as Ghost Shrimp, will be listed with this information in their description when they are posted on the site."
http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/general.cfm?general_pagesid=425

Ok I will do the baths recommended on reefland.com and then transfer to a different qt for 8 weeks. The new qt will be treated with cupramine and then prazi pro.

Back