BTA deflating numerous times last 24 hours

DesktopReefer

I purchased a BTA last week for one of my tanks. The tank itself has been established for over 5 months. When I added the the nem to the tank it moved around for the first day and then found a spot. Upon until yesterday it sat in that spot happily. Yesterday it began to deflate. Originally I thought nothing of it but then it inflated and deflated. It has been doing so repeatedly over the last day. I have noticed a white/snot like secretion from the nem. I'm was running an XR15 at 80% however I've bumped that down to 60% today. I went ahead and tested Nitrates + Phosphates both of which are currently undetectable.

Does anyone have any advice on how to proceed? Or am I just worrying about nothing?

As long as it inflates back and its mouth remains tight, I wouldn't worry too much. I wouldn't change light or anything much because that could only unsettle it and make it move more. Make sure your temperature and salinity is staying pretty consistent throughout the day.

A BTA in serious trouble is pretty obvious: gaping mouth, difficulty staying attached, mesentery spewing, foot disintigrating, hiding and staying deflated for extended time. A BTA preparing to split is pretty ugly, too. But unless or until they look really bad, if you've tested your water and tank is stable, best to just let them alone and watch.

It's stressed. It's sick. But will overcome since the tank is aged and Ph/alk remain stable. Tank bred nem or not, it's been through a lot the past few weeks. I think turning lights down a tad will help since it's a new lighting system it's acclimating under. But you won't see instant success it takes time. Leave her be :)

Back