Bubble Algae & Aiptaisa issues

whyamisofly

I will be putting my fish and corals in the QT until I can get all the aiptaisa and bubble algae off my rocks.....and then have it re-cycle.

Now,

I have had the bio wheels from the QT in the sump for about 2 months now. I also have had about 30# of base rock in the sump for 3 months......I wonder if I use water from the DT, the base rock out of the sump, and the bio wheels, if I would have enough bacteria to not cause a spike in the QT??

How long do I keep the rock in the sun for???

Do I have to scrub the rock before I put it back in the DT for curing?

The aiptaisa is also in the sand bed, so I will have to drain the water out of the DT to make sure that it will NOT come back. I know I can get 95% of the water out, but how long can the aiptaisa live just being moist?

Well not an expert here but I do know I brought my live rock home dry. It was at least a 3 hour trip home and it was hot. The it took a couple more hours to get it in the holding trash can. I still wound up with aiptasisa.

Sorry. It's a painful thing to let your rock dry out, but I understand. Bryopsis, aiptasia, and bubble algae are close to my worst nightmares.

Good luck!

Man, are you getting out or what. I see one post and you're selling everything, then I see another post you're buying stuff, I see another post........:lol:

Must be that whole flaky Wisconsin thing:lol:

J/K, but really what are you doing?

Spleify

I am staying in.........scraped up enough money to get some salt and the gf is going to part time at school and picked up a job.

But yes.....its gotta be the cheese!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12907593#post12907593 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by "Umm, fish?"
Sorry. It's a painful thing to let your rock dry out, but I understand. Bryopsis, aiptasia, and bubble algae are close to my worst nightmares.

Good luck!

At this point, its going to be a relief!!!

Just not sure it 2-3 days of sun will completely kill everything that I am looking to kill???

If you can give it a week, and hose it off everyday with a high pressure hose.

Glad to hear you're staying in the hobby.

Just do yourself a favor, lay off the cheese a little bit.........

Spleify

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12907802#post12907802 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by spleify
If you can give it a week, and hose it off everyday with a high pressure hose.

Glad to hear you're staying in the hobby.

Just do yourself a favor, lay off the cheese a little bit.........

Spleify

Calling me big boned you FIB???

LOL, thats not at all what I was saying......I think it just clogs up you're brains. Hey listen it's not you're fault you're from Wisconsin. :lol:

Hey listen I've been there before, I just got back out as qiuck as I could.:smokin:

Oh, and by the way, I'm no skinny minnie my self......

Spleify

I know this is over the net, so I better come clean and let you know that I was 100% joking with that last comment......no offense taken, no matter HOW you meant it! :lol:

I can understand why you got back out as quick as you could........just couldn't handle all the normal people at once!!! Hell, you couldn't believe people knew how to drive over that state line!! :lol:

Do you know why all the trees in Wisconsin point South???

Because Illinois sucks.

Anyway, back on track. I would give it a week and hose it daily.
You could try bleaching the rock on day one soak in vineger on day two and let dry for a week and hose everyother day.

I have no direct experience with this beast, but I would think this would work ok.

Good luck with it.

kleins butterfly and emerald crab.... Boom no more aptasia or bubble algae, if you need to drop some rock off for cleaning of aptasia let me know. My PIG would clean one in less than a day.

I added like 9 emerald crabs to my 105 and the bubble algae is history. Never had enough of an aptasia to know but pepermint shrimp are supposed to work and if you have to remove all the coral anyway a butterfly might be a fix.

Give any thought to cooking the rock for a month? Not sure if that would kill off the aptasia or not but the lack of light would have to at least slow them down.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12909281#post12909281 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by osprey77
kleins butterfly and emerald crab.... Boom no more aptasia or bubble algae, if you need to drop some rock off for cleaning of aptasia let me know. My PIG would clean one in less than a day.

Don't know how I would get a couple pieces out and not have them affected when I put them back in.......I seriously think this is my ONLY way!

I have 6 emeralds in there now....they don't do anything.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12909462#post12909462 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by The Grim Reefer
I added like 9 emerald crabs to my 105 and the bubble algae is history. Never had enough of an aptasia to know but pepermint shrimp are supposed to work and if you have to remove all the coral anyway a butterfly might be a fix.

Give any thought to cooking the rock for a month? Not sure if that would kill off the aptasia or not but the lack of light would have to at least slow them down.

Added 6 peppermint's and they ignore it.

I thought about cooking it, but figured drying out the rock would be a better/more effective remedy.

If your interested I have a butterfly I am trying to get rid of but if you have feather dusters be careful!!! ugh Lil B!%@H!!! It is in QT rite now/ well lol Time out would put it better tell i get rid of her

Titan I know of another guy who is looking for a Butterfly just for this reason, so if Whyamisofly doesn't want it I know someone who might.

Spleify

Back