Bubble Algea Takeover (16gal BioCube)

OBenn

Any and all advice is appreciated! I have to admit, caring for my 16 gallon BioCube has been the most stressful thing in my life. I currently have 2 ocellaris clowns, 1 royal gramma, 1 green chromis, 1 cleaner shrimp, and a mixture of margarita, Mexican turbo, Nassarius, bumblebee, & astrea snails. My only coral is a small patch of Zoas. Work took me away for a few weeks & I returned to find my tank completely overtaken by Bubble Algea. It’s on my live rock, tank walls, Fluval Sea CP1 pump, & even growing on some of the snails shells!

I think I’m way past the point of being able to manually remove the algea. Any tips? I’ve read Vibrant, Tuxedo Urchins, & Emerald Crabs could help me. I’m at a complete loss at what to do that won’t hurt my beloved fish. Also not sure what’s safe with my tank only being 16 gallons.

Much appreciative of all advice!

Attachments

• 0C596F62-09DD-46C3-BEA5-45E971A438CA.jpeg
    0C596F62-09DD-46C3-BEA5-45E971A438CA.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 12
  • 349D101E-A0C0-456B-B060-C185E5D0051A.jpeg
    349D101E-A0C0-456B-B060-C185E5D0051A.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 15
  • 7A7B6914-60CC-4C57-BB11-4C87C09EC0DB.jpeg
    7A7B6914-60CC-4C57-BB11-4C87C09EC0DB.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 14
  • 6E8E9C4E-1762-4D10-9CA4-5FEDBD0ACB0D.jpeg
    6E8E9C4E-1762-4D10-9CA4-5FEDBD0ACB0D.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 12
  • EFAADC5A-F6EA-4A42-975B-093D6B17ABE6.jpeg
    EFAADC5A-F6EA-4A42-975B-093D6B17ABE6.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 14
  • 4A7DF542-6EFF-4ECB-8824-E4DEB07C9599.jpeg
    4A7DF542-6EFF-4ECB-8824-E4DEB07C9599.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
Welcome to Reef Central. That certainly is an infestation. I would be leary of chemical products. I don't think any animals are going to be able to control that much valonia.

I will say that’s definitely an infestation. Emerald crabs should definitely help but with that much…I’m not sure how effective they would be.

If it was me, I’d take the rock out, scrub with a brush, rinse in another bucket a couple times and then just watch for more

Welcome to Reef Central. That certainly is an infestation. I would be leary of chemical products. I don't think any animals are going to be able to control that much valonia.
Thanks for the welcome! I’ll be ordering some emerald crab’s tomorrow!

I will say that’s definitely an infestation. Emerald crabs should definitely help but with that much…I’m not sure how effective they would be.

If it was me, I’d take the rock out, scrub with a brush, rinse in another bucket a couple times and then just watch for more
Any recommendations on what to scrub it with? Literally thinking of buying a wire brush. Also would an urchin be worth it?

At least a coarse toothbrush. I’d say a wire brush as long as no wires get stuck in the rock (excess metal contamination generally isn’t good for coral or inverts)

As for urchins, I have 3 in my 65 (a pin cushion, blue tuxedo, and pencil). The blue tuxedo is by far the best algae eater but I’ve never seen any go after the bubble algae I have in my tank but my Ruby mithrax crabs (red emeralds) do a decent job at it.

At least a coarse toothbrush. I’d say a wire brush as long as no wires get stuck in the rock (excess metal contamination generally isn’t good for coral or inverts)

As for urchins, I have 3 in my 65 (a pin cushion, blue tuxedo, and pencil). The blue tuxedo is by far the best algae eater but I’ve never seen any go after the bubble algae I have in my tank but my Ruby mithrax crabs (red emeralds) do a decent job at it.
Thank you so much for all the advice! I just ordered a stainless steel brush off Amazon to chisel away at it! Last question, will the crabs go after my cleaner shrimp? I’ve always steered clear of crabs because I was afraid they’d attack my shrimp and fish.

Thank you so much for all the advice! I just ordered a stainless steel brush off Amazon to chisel away at it! Last question, will the crabs go after my cleaner shrimp? I’ve always steered clear of crabs because I was afraid they’d attack my shrimp and fish.

They can yes. I lost cleaner shrimp to one. I had two and one disappeared.
I was watching the tank when I saw my emerald grab one. He was getting rather big.
Emerald crabs are hit or miss on bubble algae for most. I have never had one touch bubble algae but some have.
I would remove as much bubble algae as possible . Make sure you feed just the fish and the emerald is hungry.
They can also eat corals on occasion too.
For bubble algae a urchin can work too. But they do not discriminate. They can be had pretty small if you look.
There are a few captive raised ones in the hobby now.
Bubble algae is difficult to get rid of. Bubble algae I hate and is the only algae that is hard to get rid of naturally.
I can handle dinos, cyano, byopsis, all no issues naturally. Bubble algae takes allot of persistence.

While scrubbing I would add some peroxide for the spores released.
Peroxide kills hair algae without any harm to water chemistry.
Yes, this! I got ahead of valonia (bubble algae) in my nano tank by injecting hydrogen peroxide directly into the bubbles whenever any popped up. You can by small syringes at farm stores. Mithrax crabs would clean up the dying algae.

You could just dump it on but I would mix it into whatever you use for the brushing,
then spray it on liberally after the brushing.

Back