Bubble King Skimmer Club

At 35w and 9" that would probably be pretty close I would guess. Whether the wedge pipe is 95% closed or 95% open doesn't make a bit of difference, adjust it to where you want it and let it go. The high you go up with the speed of the pump the more you're going to need to open teh wedge pipe at the same height. Also, the deeper you set the skimmer in the sump the more open the wedge pipe is going to need to be and vice versa.

I'm getting a lot of water coming from the wedge pipe where the air hose goes in. To the point where it sounds like someone is peeing in my tank. I've tried adjusting the hose to seal the hole, but it's too much pressure. I figured it's because I have the wedge pipe almost completely closed. It's very annoying. I don't understand why they didn't put the silencer outside of the wedge pipe to prevent this. I've noticed some pictures online show the double cone 250 with the silencer at the top of the wedge and some show it separate from the pipe. Any idea why that is?

I'm getting a lot of water coming from the wedge pipe where the air hose goes in. To the point where it sounds like someone is peeing in my tank. I've tried adjusting the hose to seal the hole, but it's too much pressure. I figured it's because I have the wedge pipe almost completely closed. It's very annoying. I don't understand why they didn't put the silencer outside of the wedge pipe to prevent this. I've noticed some pictures online show the double cone 250 with the silencer at the top of the wedge and some show it separate from the pipe. Any idea why that is?

Maybe Klaus can chime in??

When my Alpha Vertex 300 skimmer (same pump as yours x2) starts needing to be closed almost to the point of closing, it is time to pull the pump, take it apart, and clean it with a vinegar bath. Also, check the needle wheel for stuff in-between the teeth. After I do this, the skimmer goes back to normal.

While you have the pump out, check the volute for calcium buildup in the venturi opening and also check and make sure the silencer is not crudded up as well.

For me, the buildup of crud in the needle wheel lessened the amount of air the skimmer was pulling in, lessening the height of the bubble column, and requiring further and further closing of the wedge pipe to keep the bubble column at the regular height.

When my Alpha Vertex 300 skimmer (same pump as yours x2) starts needing to be closed almost to the point of closing, it is time to pull the pump, take it apart, and clean it with a vinegar bath. Also, check the needle wheel for stuff in-between the teeth. After I do this, the skimmer goes back to normal.

While you have the pump out, check the volute for calcium buildup in the venturi opening and also check and make sure the silencer is not crudded up as well.

For me, the buildup of crud in the needle wheel lessened the amount of air the skimmer was pulling in, lessening the height of the bubble column, and requiring further and further closing of the wedge pipe to keep the bubble column at the regular height.

You have a DC speedy Red Dragon pump? I thought u had the mini red dragon? Also my skimmer is 4 days old.

what happens if you turn the pump up to where it gets more air and less water and thus prevents the squirting from the adjustable pipe. just a thought.

(i thought you had the adjustable speedy pump)
thats what i meant… (i have a older mini200 that doesnt have a speedy pump)

You have a DC speedy Red Dragon pump? I thought u had the mini red dragon? Also my skimmer is 4 days old.

Buddy,
I am so sorry, I was thinking you were referencing an Alpha Vertex 250 Cone. I think I got mixed up when I saw a FS ad you are running. I will be buying a SM 300 as soon as Premium gets their shipment in next week. Please disregard my post.

Buddy,

I am so sorry, I was thinking you were referencing an Alpha Vertex 250 Cone. I think I got mixed up when I saw a FS ad you are running. I will be buying a SM 300 as soon as Premium gets their shipment in next week. Please disregard my post.

It's no biggie. No need to apologize.

At 35w and 9" that would probably be pretty close I would guess. Whether the wedge pipe is 95% closed or 95% open doesn't make a bit of difference, adjust it to where you want it and let it go. The high you go up with the speed of the pump the more you're going to need to open teh wedge pipe at the same height. Also, the deeper you set the skimmer in the sump the more open the wedge pipe is going to need to be and vice versa.

No way to fix this problem? If it continues, I'll be selling this skimmer. There's no way this is normal. There's literally a stream of water spraying out coming from the hole where the air line goes into the wedge pipe.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397745762.321720.jpg

Is it just because it's breaking in? Do I need to raise the skimmer? Or is this just how bubble kings work?...that just doesn't seem right to me. I've owned quite a few skimmers, and this and the vertex alpha were the only ones that sprayed water out.

hi Jermey
i am setting up new tank roughly 55gln DP and 20gln of water in sump. Will be using sicce2 as return and tank will be solely sps with no sand . So need powerful skimmer for nutrient export. what would u recomend ?.
available space in sump is 18x12

Does anybody know why this is happening? Is this a common problem with bubble kings?? Seems weird that I had a similar issue with my vertex alpha.

Guess I need to start another thread about it.

Ok well I sent Klaus a PM. Let's see if he can help me to get this skimmer working correctly. I'm really surprised that this skimmer is having any issue. I guess I assumed for $1500 I would get a skimmer that would function flawlessly. I honestly never had any issues like this with my Chinese super reef octopus skimmer.

can you post a youtube video of it running and the overflowing?
the one picture is nice, but a video of it running might help klaus or Jeremy diagnose it?

(the only reason i chime in, is because peoples opinions vary, and one persons 1 could mean 2 to another person.)
sorry i am not more help…...

@Schnitzelreef,

is it possible to switch out the skimmer and shoot a picture from the outlet from the small siliconhose ? Possibly the silicone hose is kinked. The hose must go in the hole, without kink.. you can turn the nozzle in the RD3 Pump, and the white T-outlet, so set the hose linear without strong curve....

hope it helps..

best regards .. Klaus

@Schnitzelreef,

is it possible to switch out the skimmer and shoot a picture from the outlet from the small siliconhose ? Possibly the silicone hose is kinked. The hose must go in the hole, without kink.. you can turn the nozzle in the RD3 Pump, and the white T-outlet, so set the hose linear without strong curve....

hope it helps..

best regards .. Klaus

I've tried adjusting the line a few times, but I'll try to adjust it again.

Does the skimmer perform better at a certain water level? I'm wondering if having it at 9" is too high, and maybe it will perform better at 8"? Also I'm wondering how long it normally takes for the skimmer to break in?

Any range from 7" - 9" would be just fine for this skimmer. However, you can always shim it up some with egg crate or anything else to try different settings and see what works best for you. Break-in can be anywhere from just a few days to a couple weeks really. Some more info about your system would helpful as well, stocking density, age, stocked water volume, etc.

Back