bubble magnus skimmers?

i have a BM NAC6 running in my 30g cube and its doing great...it skims good and the pump has never had restarting issues so far...i turn off the skimmer when i do a water change...
.its very quiet..sems like my eheim is louder..having the pump inside the skimmer really helped with the noise because i can hear the pump when i open the skimmer's lid..

i liked the octopus nwb also before i made the purchase on the NAC6..both skimmers are rated for over 100g so any one will be more than enough for a small tank...
i just like the smaller footprint on the NAC6 and i can take apart the skimmer for cleaning...
i just havent seen enough personal reviews on the octopus to justify my purchase...i know the NAC6 works best with a 10" water level in the sump...so you need to put that into consideration...the 10g sump is only 12" tall so that dont leave much room for you...you still need to consider how much water drains back into the sump when you turn off the return pump..
keep reasearching and you'll soon find which skimmer you like the most...you'll see all sorts of different designs and there will be one you will find that seems to work best after you get educated on the different designs.....its gonna be a fun ride looking for a new skimmer...

there are so many different brands and models. i just wish i had a list of reviews for each of them by unbiased buyers. that would be ideal haha

I've been running a NAC-6 on my 125 since the beginning of June. It's an awesome skimmer for the money. Extremely foul and black skimmate. When I clean the cup and walk through the livingroom with it, I leave a trail of foul air behind me that lingers for about 15 mins. It rules.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15503704#post15503704 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by zach jay
any reasons why?

because the octo 110 isnt pulling 500lph of air, and there's no mesh wheel(easy enough to change though) so the bubbles are going to be smaller in the NAC6, plus the NAC6 has a larger neck for better control, and a nicer outlet and muffler.
and i've never sen a octo 110 pull as much dark nasty stuff out of a tank like the NAC6.

I agree the NAC6 does a surprisingly good job. Its biggest problem is it likes 10" of water in the sump. It is a little turbulent in the reaction chamber but it does not seem to hurt the performance. They also come with a spare mesh wheel impeller so you always have a spare ready when the mesh wears out.

I've been running a NAC-6 on my 125

I see NAC6 is rated for 90-150 gal tanks, yet everyone suggests them for smaller tanks. So what's the reality here? Would the NAC6 work for the original posters 110g when he upgrades? Is the Atman pump for the NAC6 ok?

Depending on what you want to keep - coral / invert wise I would say their rating is fairly accurate. Mine's on a 125 softie / LPS dominate tank and it consistently pulls dark skimmate. I haven't had a single problem with the Atman. I took the entire skimmer apart for it's first major cleaning as well as the pump. I would say it came apart and went back together easier than it was to set it up and since the neck is so wide you can literally scrub every surface of the skimmer body. It works even better now than it did originally.

if you want to see the performance on the bubble magnus you can go to youtube i found alot of videos on youtube of people with bubble magnus skimmers showing there performance and telling you the pros and cons,hope this helps

For a sps tank realistically i'd say around 75g max. The atman pump is just a via aqua pump. You can get replacement motorblocks for around 20bux.

Back