Bubble tip Anemone needs strong light & water flow?

CoppBandbuttfly

got my first Anemone, a white bubble tip. In two days it settled on the inside of my rock. The rock is tilt so it can be seen only a little bit. My pairs of Clarkii crown fishes got connected to it within a few days.

Due to the position I wonder if it gets enough light and water flow. Correct me if I am wrong, I think Anemone needs strong light and good water flow? So far it opens a little bit in the afternoon & at night, but not in the morning. When it opens the crown fishes do touch it a little bit.

Should I turn over the rock so the Anemone gets exposed to more light & water flow?

Thanks.

Just leave it be, it will find the spot it likes best. Hopefully for you it will find it's spot in the front of the tank so you can see it.

Once you put them in- its best to leave them alone. The fact you say it is white should be the first clue it is bleached and thus will have to adjust to your lighting. It knows best what it needs.

My new RBTA hid from high flow and light, half of it is receiving light and the other half is in the shade. The half in light is bubbled up and in the shade it's not. I'm letting mine decide where to go on its own.

Your BTA shouldn't be white……. this indicates that it's bleached! i'd start feeding it asap because it can't get its food from its zooanthellea (sp?), my RBTA likes moderate light with moderate flow but all anemones differ.

thanks all for the advice...when I said it is white I meant the tentacles, the base is kind of red. Is it normal for the tentacles be white? I bought it online.

At its current position it is quite hard to feed it directly without moving the rocks..

thanks all for the advice...when I said it is white I meant the tentacles, the base is kind of red. Is it normal for the tentacles be white? I bought it online.

At its current position it is quite hard to feed it directly without moving the rocks..

Nothing about an anemone should be while or clear.

OK what exactly is the meaning of bleached? Here are my lighting :

I have 2 10000k compact FL 65w running for 6 hrs from noon To 6pm, plus the current USA orbit led running 80% capacity with moonlight at dawn and dusk.

Thanks

Anemones are nourished and feed on plankton/mysis/small fish etc but they also are like corals in that they have photosynthetic zooxanthellae that allows light to nourish them, too. So they ideally need both good light and food, but at least need good quality from one or the other. BTAs can get by on lower (PC level) light if they are fed. If they're getting enough light, they don't necessarily need to be fed much.

A bleached anemone has lost all or most of their photosynthetic zooxanthellae so are less able to benefit from light. So the only way for a bleached anemone to color back up and survive is if they are fed and are hopefully not so stressed and gone that they won't accept food. They can bleach from stress, from too much light, from too little light ... since your anemone is new, you have no way of knowing. It could be as simple as transport stress. But a BTA shouldn't be white. So you either have a different kind of anemone ... maybe some kind of long tentacle anemone that does come in white or lighter colors? Or you have a BTA that needs to be fed and avoid stress to recover.

I did really well with similar lights to yours with my rose BTA for a long time. With those lights, I fed the anemone a few chunks of silverside or krill about once a week. If your anemone doesn't want to eat, try blowing some mysis at it very gently and if it gets sticky, see if it will take a piece of silverside. Good luck!!

thank you! Finally understand bleaching! I will monitor it and try to feed it with mysis later on. One interesting fact is one new percular crown died attaching to the anemone on 2nd day of arrival. Even if they don't connect to each other I thought it is very strange that may be the anemone kills my new crown fish?

thank you! Finally understand bleaching! I will monitor it and try to feed it with mysis later on. One interesting fact is one new percular crown died attaching to the anemone on 2nd day of arrival. Even if they don't connect to each other I thought it is very strange that may be the anemone kills my new crown fish?

If your clown was healthy, the BTA would not have killed it. BTAs have by far the weakest sting of the hosting anemones and are not potent enough to kill healthy fish. I would try to identify other explanations for the death of the fish (disease, parameters, acclimation, etc.).

Wow! That's a little disturbing. I have ordered from that site in the past and been very happy. I think I got my clean up crew from there when I first set up in 2003. They know what they're doing, but the picture is even white. Perhaps that's why it is on sale? It doesn't even say if it is supposed to be a green or a rose BTA, but you say it has a red base? If that's what you ordered, I would trust them to send you a real BTA, but the anemone in that picture is badly bleached. As long as it is inflating, willing to eat and you have reasonable lighting, it should be able to color back up. I think I might email Saltwaterfish.com and ask them what the deal is with posting a white BTA for sale. Good luck!

did your anemone ever colored up? lol i know it is being forever, but i just saw 3 of the same anemone type on my store

Back