Budget LED options for 72" deep tank (no SPS plans)

Do you think 2 of the 68" Reefbar Pro strips would work for a 6 ft bowfront? I wouldn't have to figure out how to mount them, unlike the Noopsyche. Probably not as much light as the Noopsyche, but that's not too critical for me, at least not yet.
I used 4 Reef Bar Pros 2x445 Actinic and 2xBlue Heavy on my 150g. They do not offer the 445 Actinic in 68" anymore, that is when I went to Orphek Blue Plus when mine went out.

On lighting, you really don't want to cheap out on. You will pay the same as buying the top brand. I am switching to Orphek only. They run 2x5w leds per led, running at 50%, to extend the life of the LED. The coloration is spot on, and you will be happy with the results. I know I am.

So I decided to give the Noopsyche K7 Pro III lights a try. I hand-waved away the mounting issue, assuming I would figure something out. I currently have one temporarily mounted and I have to say, I am REALLY pleased with the light output (visually, I haven't measured anything) and appearance.

For a more permanent mount, I am going to glue 0.5-1" acrylic lips to the back of the tank. The ones on the side will be 12" long which will allow me to move the lights around a bit to see if I need a 3rd for even coverage. I currently have no corals and I have no plans to put high-light corals down on the sand bed so I'm not too worried about PAR down there, at least not for now. Certainly, a third light would probably be ideal but I want to see how good I can get it with two first.

For anyone on the fence about these lights, they clearly cut their costs in the programmability and connectivity areas. You can use them in LAN mode supposedly, but only 2.4GHz WiFi, and it can't handle merged SSID if you have both 2.4 and 5 GHz. I set up my router's guest account for a separate SSID and 2.4 GHz and still couldn't get it to work. I gave that up and went to Access Point mode, and that is working fine. It's a bit more of a pain, you have to set your phone to use the SSID of the light, and then you can control it. But really that's fine, I'm not going to be tweaking them all the time. As for longevity...only time will tell. Fingers crossed they last a good long time, because I'm really pleased so far!

I gave that up and went to Access Point mode, and that is working fine. It's a bit more of a pain, you have to set your phone to use the SSID of the light, and then you can control it. But really that's fine, I'm not going to be tweaking them all the time. As for longevity...only time will tell. Fingers crossed they last a good long time, because I'm really pleased so far!

Even in LAN mode, your phone MUST be on the same SSID as the light - even if that SSID is on the same subnet as your 5 GHz - This is because the "saved" setting in the app use the SSID - so if you switch SSID the APP gets confused and and does not recall the saved settings the next time you try to connect. The app is garbage and the support is pretty terrible the fixture itself is very good.

That said - I will be selling the (3) that I have. 1 slightly used and 2 never used. I purchased (2x) Mitras 7206 to go with my Profilux stuff. No reason, other than easier integration - much more expensive though.

What I eventually ended up doing was getting three 1" thick bits of aquarium acrylic (they were actually 1/2" pieces from a cut-down acrylic tank glued together) and fluing them along the back edge of the tank. I was initially trying to avoid permanent modifications but this is pretty subtle, and as this is a very common light mount type, I think will be useful even in the event of changing out the lighting in the future. Which I have no immediate plans to do, since I'm very pleased with the Noopsyche K7 so far. I only have two of them at the moment, but I made the two pieces on either side about 12" long so I can slide the lights out towards the edges if I decide to get a center light and lower them, which I suspect I will end up doing.

Even in LAN mode, your phone MUST be on the same SSID as the light - even if that SSID is on the same subnet as your 5 GHz - This is because the "saved" setting in the app use the SSID - so if you switch SSID the APP gets confused and and does not recall the saved settings the next time you try to connect. The app is garbage and the support is pretty terrible the fixture itself is very good.

That said - I will be selling the (3) that I have. 1 slightly used and 2 never used. I purchased (2x) Mitras 7206 to go with my Profilux stuff. No reason, other than easier integration - much more expensive though.
Are you selling them all together as a set, or will you sell them separately? I may be interested in one.

Back