Bug

Nice Mantis head Jesse.

mudskipper1, well done. I like the color in shot 1, composition in shot 3 and hairs on the beetle's head in 4.

I was going to take a pic of a beautiful dragonfly yesterday and then I thought why. :) No way would I be able to post it in this thread :fish2:

Sure you can! Please do. :)

Came across this guy a couple days ago. Bigger and darker than the others of this type that I've been seeing. I believe it to be Araneus diadematus, a cross orbweaver or garden spider. With the focal plane at its head and eyes and its abdomen so plump, the pattern on top of the abdomen is out of focus despite my shooting at f13!

Spider%207%20wm.jpg

The first spider in my post on 9/8 I believe is Achearanea tepediorum, the American house spider.

I love orb weavers. The webs they create are fascinating, and the many varieties of patterns found on them is just as cool. I took a lot of shots of spiders while in Hawai'i this past winter, and every single one seems to be a different pattern and color.

Here's one of the black and gold variety, because that's the color I bleed (Pens/Steelers!). :)

Very cool! Good color contrast with the background. That wide spiral swath of silk is interesting, as is the way it takes a 4 point stance, even with 8 legs.

I'd probably clog up my hard drive with macro spider pics if I lived in Hawaii.

If it hasn't already been brought up, I'd highly recommend Thomas Shahan's Flickr photo stream for insect (and arachnid) macros. He's an incredible photographer and his work is like art.

Wolf

Wolf

One night I was walking by my aquarium and lo and behold, there is a HUGE wolf spider sitting there on top of my hood staring at me.

I didn't think about getting a pic, I was afraid he would jump and I would have to worry about him walking across my face when I was asleep :)

So I grabbed a 5 gallon bucket and through him in there and then out the front door. She was huge, at least 3.5 inches with legs included.

Back