Bugs on SPS

cfronczek

I was wondering if anyone knew or had experience with red bugs. I am not sure that I have them specifically, but a couple of my acros (tricolor and garf bonsai, both have washed out color and not the best polyp extension) have these tiny bugs crawling very quickly around the corals. They are more of a brown/black than the yellow/red that I've seen pictures of red bugs online. Too small to get a picture without a nicer camera.

Should I look into dosing the tank with Interceptor or whatever is available now?

Appreciate any help.

Chris

There are black bugs too that can be problematic for corals. I think you have to double the dose of interceptor to kill them, but I wouldn't do anything without getting a positive ID. There's a thread in one of the national forums called "Finally a successful in tank AEFW treatment" or something like that which was not successful and the op discovered he had black bugs and described the dose he used. Again get a positive ID. I don't think red bugs are even a bad thing to have as another poster in that thread said he eliminated AEFW by introducing red bugs and happily lets them live in his tank and his corals have never looked better.

Are you able to detect nitrate and phosphate? A lack of nutrients would be another reason for the pale look.

I have red bugs and am currently contemplating what I'm going to do, if anything.i have seen most of the articles cuzza is referring to. If I treat I will move all affected corals to quarantine and use sentinel. I do not feel comfortable wiping out my pod population in the display. There are conversations regarding successful use of dipping in Bayer pest control. I threw that idea when I found out if some Bayer gets into the display it can cause sudden blindness and death of fish.

I always thought pipe fish would be unable handle the flow in an sps tank... No chemicals and a cool fish is appealing.

There are black bugs too that can be problematic for corals. I think you have to double the dose of interceptor to kill them, but I wouldn't do anything without getting a positive ID. There's a thread in one of the national forums called "Finally a successful in tank AEFW treatment" or something like that which was not successful and the op discovered he had black bugs and described the dose he used. Again get a positive ID. I don't think red bugs are even a bad thing to have as another poster in that thread said he eliminated AEFW by introducing red bugs and happily lets them live in his tank and his corals have never looked better.

Are you able to detect nitrate and phosphate? A lack of nutrients would be another reason for the pale look.

If u don't do total tank treatments u can not be sure you will have wiped them out. GL

If it isn't affecting your corals I wouldn't do a thing. Are we even sure certain bugs are really bad? I recall reading at one time hobbyist believed acro crabs were a pests and now we know they're actually beneficial. My guess is as long as the coral is "healthy" most so called pests aren't as bad as we've been led to believe. This is just my opinion.

Now I think it's pretty clear that worms are a whole other story.

I had red bugs and they were eating my smooth SPS. Also if you sell or trade corals please let whom ever gets the corals know you have them. I ordered Interceptor from Australia and it took care of them with one dose. Personally I would get rid of them but thats up to you

Bugs may be pods. I agree wit @cuzza, First ID the bugs before you move on to how to battle them. Could be harmless.

I have interceptor. Let me know..

Your acro's will look better than ever after a few treatments. They like the beef flavor.

1 treatment is almost never enough to ensure they are gone. Unless you are real lucky,

Back