Building 1600 Gallon Bioshock Themed Octopus Tank

That's not what flood insurance covers.

with how close I live to the ocean Id get rid of that " tank" and how else is the adjuster going to explain that much saltwater damage????????

but yes I know its not flood insurance which would cover this disaster it was a joke.......kind of

with how close I live to the ocean Id get rid of that " tank" and how else is the adjuster going to explain that much saltwater damage????????

Insurance investigators are incredibly savvy with regards to these types of situations. I mean, you'll have all sorts of salt water damage to the inside of the house, but miraculously the outside of the house will show nothing, no dead grass or gardens, no salt damage the siding of the house, no dirt runoff from the flood etc.

If the fraud level is large enough they won't initially tell you they are denying the claim. They will start to gather evidence of the fraud. Like the square on the floor where there used to be a tank. Evidence of a large aquarium will be all over your house, from RO units, salt buckets, testing equipment etc etc. Then they'll subpoena the electric company for your historical usage and compare it with your new usage and see that there was a major drop in usage right at the time of the loss. They will also get your credit card history and banking info and see you buying all this stuff that isn't there.

Then they'll send you a letter asking you to verify all your claims, sign it and mail it back. Once you do that you have risen to the level of mail fraud. So they take the Insurance Fraud and combine it with the Mail Fraud and take you to court with a possible 10-25 year sentence and some large fines.

Or Johnike...

:hammer: :lolspin:

In all seriousness though, dude those screws are NOT going to support the weight. Screws are to hold things together, not support any weight. I can use my driver and sheer the head off a screw if I push it just right. If you are relying on screws to holdl in 1600 gallons of water, you are, well....screwed.

I see you did calculations, can you provide them, just to see? As I write this, not sure what the pressure would be on the bottom there, but with how tall it is, the bottom part of this is going to be seeing some extreme pressures.

For every 2.4 feet of height, the pressure will increase about 1 psi. So a 10' high tank will be about 4.25 psig at the bottom.

So if that tank is a little over 7ft high, and it looks to be about 8ft long and 6ft wide, he's looking at 1,000 lbs of outward pressure on just the bottom inch of the tank? If that is the case the bottom foot of the tank would have an outward pressure of 12,000lbs?

That seems to add up really fast? Im not a math guy.

Assuming this tank is 8' x 6' x 6' High (I counted the 2x4's and subtracted a few inches for airspace), the pressure above atmospheric pressure at the bottom is 2.9 psi. So over the bottom inch of the entire tank there is a force of 1670 lbs. Because the pressure exerted decreases as there is less water weight, each subsequent inch would have less force exerted but it does quickly add up.

Good luck. I don't want to say you'll need it, but I hope this works out. I'm interested in seeing any update pics there might be.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Wow! In the long term, the only thing coming out of this is water & unhappy fish! :facepalm:

Perhaps there are hidden structural members, like vertical threaded rods every 12 inches, keeping the layers in compression??

But, power to ya! It is fun to do what others say couldn't be done ..... didn't slow down Tesla or Edison!! :thumbsup: I want to see this tank finished!

Im not naysaying anything, but maybe you can post your calculations and hydros so that we can help and double check? Nothing could hurt with everyone here putting their heads together with you.

^ We have been asking, he has been reluctant, not sure why though as having another dozen sets of eyes on it could only help his cause.

Could be that his pride won't let him be proven wrong as well?

Wow. Crazy idea, I hope this comes to fruition.
Is that brick support staying in the tank?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
That brick support looks like it holds up the main beam in your house. Do you have plans of new teleposts? Surely that brick couldn't hold up to saltwater. Let alone leaching concerns. Will you try to wrap that too? I don't see the pillar in your hand drawn pics

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Im actually doubling down on the plywood concern and covering the OSB with a layer of plywood. Im wrapping the pillar in fiberglass as well. It was easier to make the drawings without the pillar to answer your questions!

That would make an amazing set of countertops, but I would not be applying lateral load to a non jointed glue up...

not making any comment with regards to strength or safety, but can't wait to see this come together, GL.

Back