Buy Nikon d7000 or wait?

TimberTDI

I've decided to buy a new dslr after selling off my Canon stuff a few years back. The Nikon D7000 looks like it fits my needs. Should I purchase it or wait for Nikon to release the D7100 (nikon rumors puts a release sometime this year)? How does the d7000 compare to something like a Canon 7d?

Thanks,
Steven

Personal Opinion: If you keep waiting for the next big thing, you'll always be waiting for the next big thing. I don't know why you dropped Canon, and I've yet to purchase one, but I do plan on it, if for nothing else but the MP-E-65. What are you looking at that will make this time around different? I don't think you'll find the build of the D7000 as good as the 7D though. The D7000 is more of a consumer body.

Check out kenrockwell.com. Great unbiased reviews of almost all nikon and canon stuff.

It's has nothing to do with waiting for the next big thing. It's more of the "being so close to the release of a new model; why get stuck with an old one". Sort of like who would buy an ipad 2 today knowing that the ipad 3 is so close.

My hope is that the D7100 shoots 1080p @ 30fps as opposed to 24fps.

The d7000 does have a magnesium alloy body not plastic.

That's not really all that makes up a pro boby. The weather stripping and the way other parts attached are what creates problems. I've had my D200 out in a full rainstorm and had no problems. I'm not saying it'd good to do it, but it will let you know more on the build quality. The 7D from my understanding is very well built. Like I said, I don't know your reasons for change. Also, my camera is for stills and I have no need for video, but that's just me.
From what I've read, it is possed to be a step above the D90, but for something I'm using, I can't trust what someone else thinks. Body and feel will affect every shot you take. You're the only one that can decide that. If your intrest is video, you can wait. If nothing else, the price of the 7000 will drop when the 7100 comes out.

Last edited:
Me to :)

Now that Rob Galbraith has some bitterness, I don't know if theres really anyone left that doesn't have an agenda, axe to grind or grudge anymore.

I don't have one!!! :) That's part of what I was trying to get at. Most of my lens collection is Nikon, and as of last year, their Trinity was part of the package. The 14-24 was one of them. Every review was how great it was. I don't have it anymore. I replaced it with a better IMO Tokina 12-24. While the 12-24 was one quarter the cost, in my opinion, it's a much better lens.

2mm wider, (big deal on a crop sensor).
Ability to accept filters, (the glass on the 14-24 is like a fisheye and extends too far).
And the noisy, grindy feel of the zoom, (everyone said it's normal).

Not worth the 2 grand.

But, as I've said, it's my opinion.

I've had my D7000 for about 9 months and really do enjoy it. With that said, though, if I were looking at DSLR cameras right now, I would definitely wait for the next line to come out. You could drop $1500 or so on a D7000 now, or possibly wait a bit longer and drop the same amount for a newer model... or get the D7000 for less. At least then you could compare the D7000 vs whatever the new model is and see if the price difference is worth the cost difference.

Back