Buying first fish tomorrow...don't know which one

Civicman86

Ok so I'm looking to buy my first fish tomorrow. The tank is a 75gallon FOWL. I'm planning on the following stock list but I don't know which to add first? I know it's recommended for most peaceful to aggressive but it seems almost all the fish I want fall in the semi aggressive category. Thoughts?

Fish are listed in the order I had planned to add them...

2 - Clowns
1 - Firefish
1 - Starry Blenny
1 - Kole Tang
1 - Flame Angel

Get the Firefish first. Then the blenny. Then the Flame (love those).
Wait AT LEAST three to four weeks between additions.
After that you can add the two clowns together ( I would get the smallest and youngest ones you can ) wait another month and add the Kole Tang (love those too) LAST.

Clowns or fire fish, then blenny but also watch your blenny I had a blenny listed as peaceful that terrorized my 75g tank until I caught him

Then angel then tang very last

Pair of clown and fire fish. Wait 2 weeks to watch your nitrate level. If params stable, add blenny. I would add angel last. I added my flame last and he tried to take over the tank. The coral beauty finally decided to stand his ground and fought back. After 2 weeks of battle, the flame play nice now. Good luck.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Get the Firefish first. Then the blenny. Then the Flame (love those).
Wait AT LEAST three to four weeks between additions.
After that you can add the two clowns together ( I would get the smallest and youngest ones you can ) wait another month and add the Kole Tang (love those too) LAST.

^^^What he said^^^

Are you planning on quarantining your fish or will you just be rolling the dice and hoping that they are healthy? I know you are looking forward to getting fish in your tank, but if any of them do have issues, they will then infect the rest of the tank. Although it will take a bit longer, the use of a QT and the TTM will allow you to get going on the right foot.

jm.02

Agree again. Firefish, blenny, angel, clown pair, tang. Space them out accordingly. If you qt, you can start staggering them out.

Curious, why clown last? Unless you are adding mature clowns, juvie clowns are smaller then the angels. IME, angels are more aggressive than the juvie clowns.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

yes i agree juvenile clowns are not that aggressive.
I would put all 4(2 Clowns, Firefish, Starry Blenny) in at once, All 4 re very small fish, and arent that aggressive to new tank mates So shouldn't be any trouble in a 75

I would also add the angel and kole tang together. I feel the trick to keeping many aggressive fish together in a tank is to add them together and add them as young as you can, if possible. Dont give one fish time to get used to the tank and make the tank it its own. plus adult/mature fish are just more aggressive than baby fish.

definitely add the clowns first, they are active swimmers and add good color and movement to the tank.
also you should at least ttm all new fish to avoid a later headache, especially any tangs those buggers are almost certain to have ich.
im pretty sure firefish are pretty shy so expect them to be hiding a lot.
goby/pistol shrimp combos are a cool addition as well, they won't be out and swimming around the tank but its cool to see them poking out from under the rocks.

Anyone see any problems with the kole tang and the starry blenny compatibility?

Yes, this could be a problem. IME, Kole and Tomini tangs were very aggressive towards my Lawnmower Blenny. He died and I tried a bigger Starry Blenny and same aggression towards it, but he fights back sometimes.

I find blenny and tangs that constantly pick the rocks such as bristle tooth tangs with often come into conflict If you have enough rock and algae it won't be as much of a problem. Imo hungry fish tend to me more aggressive and territorial fish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find blenny and tangs that constantly pick the rocks such as bristle tooth tangs with often come into conflict If you have enough rock and algae it won't be as much of a problem. Imo hungry fish tend to me more aggressive and territorial fish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting. Maybe Ill drop the blenny then. I went with a minimalist approach to rock in the DT (remainder is in the sump). I can see food potentially causing an issue to your point.

Back